Author Topic: Is there a way to group an artist's aliases as one ?  (Read 5089 times)

Corliss Rain

There are two options that I can suggest.  You could set the Album Artist for all of the different aliases to Masumi Ito, although this would not work for your Various Artists albums. Alternately, in the Multiple Artist Splitter, you could set "Display Artist" to Masumi Ito ... this would only affect the displayed name and not any of the artist/role information you have set up.

The Incredible Boom Boom

For the record, below is how my layout looks for artists with different aliases and/or group names. As can be seen, all releases appear underneath the artist's primary name.

<Sort Artist> = Hiromi

<Album> Spiral
<Album Artist> Hiromi
<Artist> Hiromi

<Album> Time Control
<Album Artist> Hiromi's Sonicbloom
<Artist> Hiromi's Sonicbloom

<Album> Voice
<Album Artist> Hiromi: The Trio Project
<Artist> Hiromi: The Trio Project

Fivda

For the record, below is how my layout looks for artists with different aliases and/or group names. As can be seen, all releases appear underneath the artist's primary name.

<Sort Artist> = Hiromi

<Album> Spiral
<Album Artist> Hiromi
<Artist> Hiromi

<Album> Time Control
<Album Artist> Hiromi's Sonicbloom
<Artist> Hiromi's Sonicbloom

<Album> Voice
<Album Artist> Hiromi: The Trio Project
<Artist> Hiromi: The Trio Project

Unrelated, but how do you tag in the catalog number?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Unrelated, but how do you tag in the catalog number?

The easiest way to store it is with a custom tag, but I use a Virtual Tag that reads from the folder path.
J:\Jazz Fusion\Hiromi\Hiromi\Studio\Hiromi - (2003) Another Mind [US · Telarc CD-83558 · CD]

LittleAfterAll

I've read all posts in this topic, but it didn't help me.

I would like to achieve searching for Richie Hawtin and gettings results for all of his aliases (Robotman, Plastikman, F.U.S.E, etc.). What is the best and correct way to do it?

P.S. I am taking all music with MusicBrainz Piccard using MusicBrainz databes. If this is of any help. :)

Fivda

I've read all posts in this topic, but it didn't help me.

I would like to achieve searching for Richie Hawtin and gettings results for all of his aliases (Robotman, Plastikman, F.U.S.E, etc.). What is the best and correct way to do it?

P.S. I am taking all music with MusicBrainz Piccard using MusicBrainz databes. If this is of any help. :)

Hey. Since then, i've just been manually attributing aliases through the artist splitter. Just know it's a lot of work and not everyone has the time in the world to do this though.
You just have to settle for a specific general name you want to attribute aliases to, and stash the real name in the artist splitter (aka just the "performer" tag) somewhere.
I generally do this then, see here (Sampling Masters being an alias of Shinji Hosoe):

It's kinda wacky but gets the job done when you search for a specific artist, and it doesn't affect the display artist field since it's pretty much stashed away.

LittleAfterAll

Thank you for fast reply. :)

I don't have a lot of artists in my library who uses alias, hope this will be fine. Will try it once I get back home.

hiccup

Perhaps this is useful and will give you some ideas:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=29851.0

(having a similar admiration for Richie Hawtin ;-)

LittleAfterAll

I am satisfied with the results. Will read your post, hiccup, just after I finish reading this one: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35975.msg0;boardseen#new :))

Thanks to both of you, Fivda and hiccup.  8)