Author Topic: A virtual tag that specifies whether or not ALL tracks on an album have a rating  (Read 1781 times)

InsidAero

I'm looking to create a virtual tag to be used for creating an auto-playlist. I only want an album to show up if every song on said album has a rating. If even one song has no rating, then the entire album will not show up in this auto-playlist. How can I make this happen?

smann

Easiest way I can think of that is somewhat manually maintained...
There's an album rating. You could set ratings for a whole album if every song has a rating and use no rating if even one song is missing a rating. Or just use "Ban" for albums without all ratings or "Love" for albums with full ratings. You'll have to manually set the album rating, but the auto-playlist will pick up on that.

I'm not sure if this would actually work or how best to go about the coding, but it popped into my head haha...
You could also maybe go crazy with custom tags and auto-playlists. You could create an auto-playlist that has every song with a rating. Then create a custom tag that compares the number of songs by each artist and album in that playlist to the album track count, and if they are different then don't include it. This would require having the album total track count filled in for each album though.
Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:37:10 AM by smann

InsidAero

I'm not sure if this would actually work or how best to go about the coding, but it popped into my head haha...
You could also maybe go crazy with custom tags and auto-playlists. You could create an auto-playlist that has every song with a rating. Then create a custom tag that compares the number of songs by each artist and album in that playlist to the album track count, and if they are different then don't include it. This would require having the album total track count filled in for each album though.

Wow, this could actually work. Maybe I'll try this out. Thanks for the idea!
Any idea on how to actually do it, though? I'm not super familiar with MusicBee's code. Is there some way to count a numerical tag, so I would count the number of tracks in the newly made auto-playlist?
Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:06:14 AM by InsidAero

smann

Any idea on how to actually do it, though? I'm not super familiar with MusicBee's code. Is there some way to count a numerical tag, so I would count the number of tracks in the newly made auto-playlist?

I only have about 4 virtual tags, and none go as in depth as this would require.

I thought Track Count would only count the tracks available, but it looks like it is if you have the total in the tags, and Album Track Count will count all the tracks for that album regardless of whether or not you have the total number. My bad on that.

You could maybe set it up to compare the maximum or highest Track# value in the auto-playlist to the Album Track Count. If it's the same, then all values should have ratings. You'll need to play around with the coding though to make it work, since I'm not 100% sure on how that would come out.

frankz

I can think of a way I think might work, but you'd need 2 auto playlists, the second being your ultimate result.

1st - Criterion: Rating has no Value Select by: Album
2nd - Criterion: Playlist is not 1st Select by: Album

I tested it briefly and it seems to do what you want.  You can add Album Track Count > 4 or whatever as a criterion if you want to weed out singles and EPs and Album Complete? = Yes if you only want albums where your total track count matches the reported (in tags) total track count.
Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:39:29 AM by frankz

smann

I can think of a way I think might work, but you'd need 2 auto playlists, the second being your ultimate result.

Wouldn't this be the same as a single criterion of Rating HAS a value? If one playlist is Rating HAS NO value and the other is not that playlist, then it's Rating HAS that value, right?

Unless this wine is hitting a little harder than I think and I'm reading this wrong...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Wouldn't this be the same as a single criterion of Rating HAS a value? If one playlist is Rating HAS NO value and the other is not that playlist, then it's Rating HAS that value, right?

It's a little convoluted, but rating HAS a value wouldn't work because it wouldn't capture the whole album. If any track on the album had a rating, the album would still show up. By starting with NO rating in the first playlist, you weed out albums where any track is missing the rating.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

It's a little convoluted, but rating HAS a value wouldn't work because it wouldn't capture the whole album.
It's only as convoluted as it needs to be to work.

InsidAero

I tested it briefly and it seems to do what you want.  You can add Album Track Count > 4 or whatever as a criterion if you want to weed out singles and EPs and Album Complete? = Yes if you only want albums where your total track count matches the reported (in tags) total track count.

Never even thought of doing it like that. Selecting by album has to be the key, right? Either way, thank you! This is exactly what I wanted.

smann

It's a little convoluted, but rating HAS a value wouldn't work because it wouldn't capture the whole album. If any track on the album had a rating, the album would still show up. By starting with NO rating in the first playlist, you weed out albums where any track is missing the rating.

My apologies! I was still thinking on a song basis and not a whole album basis when I read this that clearly states "Album" lol. It's late and I'm tired and honestly I just can't read haha.

But yeah, a scenario with a NO answer for an entire album first could accomplish this. Didn't know this would show for a full album.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's only as convoluted as it needs to be to work.

No argument there. It's the nature of the beast. A very creative solution, actually.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)