Author Topic: Automatically downloaded Artist Pictures often end up in the wrong directory  (Read 1320 times)

filoppi

I use portable MusicBee, most of the times the newly downloaded Artist Pictures end up in the correct directory:
"C:\Portable Program Files\MusicBee\Library\Artist Pictures\Thumb"
but sometimes they end up in
"C:\Programs\MusicBee\Library\Artist Pictures\Thumb"
This has been happening for a few years and I might have reported it, but it still happens, it's like that directory is hardcoded somewhere, or generated uncorrectly.
Note that I don't have MusicBee installed in that directory and I have scanned my Windows register and found no keys with the "Programs\MusicBee" directory in it.

Steven

• Administrator
Assuming you are using default settings for the path, then its always relative to the root folder of the music library. There is no hard coding of \Programs\

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
One thing you could try is opening your settings file (MusicBee3.ini) and searching for the incorrect file path. If you find it, you might be able to change it there.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

filoppi

Yes, it was there:
<ArtistPictureLocation>\Programs\MusicBee\Library\Artist Pictures\</ArtistPictureLocation>
<SoundtrackPictureLocation>\Programs\MusicBee\Library\Soundtrack Pictures\</SoundtrackPictureLocation>
Should these not be ignored in portable mode? The point is to not have any changes outside of the app folder and to bring all the changes with the app folder.

I've just deleted these lines, hoping it will fallback to the default.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hopefully that works, but if you run into issues then try adding those lines back but adjusting the path.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sveakul

Yes, it was there:
<ArtistPictureLocation>\Programs\MusicBee\Library\Artist Pictures\</ArtistPictureLocation>
<SoundtrackPictureLocation>\Programs\MusicBee\Library\Soundtrack Pictures\</SoundtrackPictureLocation>
Should these not be ignored in portable mode? The point is to not have any changes outside of the app folder and to bring all the changes with the app folder.

I've just deleted these lines, hoping it will fallback to the default.

I've only used the Portble version, and for me those locations appear as expected in the ini file:

<ArtistPictureLocation>\MusicBee\Library\Artist Pictures\</ArtistPictureLocation>
<SoundtrackPictureLocation>\MusicBee\Library\Soundtrack Pictures\</SoundtrackPictureLocation>

Since you mention you've been using MB for "a few years", maybe at one time or another you inadvertently updated on top of another install that had been modified in some way, or had imported a settings file from same.  I would say you should go ahead and add the lines back with the correct path edited as psychoadept suggests.
Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:33:14 PM by sveakul

filoppi

Yes, I had MusicBee installed before, but it's never been in "Programs/MusicBee"

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, I had MusicBee installed before, but it's never been in "Programs/MusicBee"
If your prior MB installs were also Portable installs, then you installed in to Programs\MusicBee. I haven't installed the portable in quite some time, but it's possible that it defaults to that path. Using the portable gives you the option to install wherever you want. So it's entirely possible you accepted the default.

Also, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, even the Installer version of MB gives you the option to select the install path. Only the Store version takes total control of the installed location.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here