Author Topic: [Solved] Edit Custom Sort Values  (Read 2701 times)

troglodytes16

I posted this in Questions, but no one answered. It feels like a bug, so I'm posting it here as well.

In the Sorting tab while editing a track, there's a button named Edit Custom Sort Values
But we can't edit anything, because after clicking update and then save, whatever values I edited are gone and what I deleted comes back. I tried deleting as text and as grid, and also clicking the [-] button.
Why can't I save this section? (Artist and Composer Names sorting)
We should be able to save it, otherwise what's the point of the update and save buttons?

The audio file is not flagged as Read-Only.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:00:21 AM by troglodytes16

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You do have "enable custom sorting" ticked, right?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

troglodytes16

Thank you for your reply

No, I don't. That's the thing, it's not even enabled and the tracks that have custom sorting names are bloating the list of artists because of band members listed in the "edit custom sort values" area. If it's not enabled, those names shouldn't show up.

And just to make sure, I enabled the option you mentioned (Edit Preferences>Sorting>enable custom sorting) and I still can't delete the names and save them, so no change in that regard.

hiccup

And just to make sure, I enabled the option you mentioned (Edit Preferences>Sorting>enable custom sorting) and I still can't delete the names and save them, so no change in that regard.

I am no expert on this sorting stuff, so maybe I'll learn something here too.
What are you trying to 'delete' here?
Some screenshots perhaps?

troglodytes16

I'm trying to delete every custom sort value I find because they're populating my list of artist with random band members.
For instance, this song by the band Kings of Leon has 9 different entries in my List of artists because it has 9 indelible custom sort values.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Those values aren't coming from the custom sorting feature. It only reports on what it finds in the tags, so they are tagged in your file somewhere. Unless there is something in the right hand column, there is no custom sort value. Look at your Artist field for that track and click on the ... button to see if there are multiple artists.
Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:34:47 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

troglodytes16

Thank you. I searched and searched the source of those names in the edit window, and the custom sort was the only place I could find them. I hadn't seen the "..." button, it's very inconspicuous.

Cheers