Author Topic: [Bug] MusicBee often unresponsive upon resuming from sleep/screen off  (Read 1776 times)

Darthagnon

Greetings!

I love MusicBee - it's my favorite music player software out there. Thank you for making it.

Unfortunately, I have encountered a bug (present for a few versions already, since at least Octoberish 2019 - I'm currently on 3.3.7367) - quite often (but unpredictably), when resuming my laptop from sleep or from screen-off, if MusicBee is open on the taskbar, it will cease to respond completely - no "not responding" messages appear, it's just frozen. It needs killing and reopening to work again. I suspect it might have something to do with switchable graphics (betwee integrated Intel HD 630 and NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 MaxQ), since it occurs in changing power states, or when the screen state switches on and off.

Is there any workaround for this, or is it a known bug or addressed in the latest version?

Steven

• Administrator
Yes this has been reported before but not something i have ever been able to reproduce. There is no solution or suggestions that i have

Darthagnon

Some additional symptoms I've come across:
1) left MusicBee open on the taskbar over 1 or two laptop sleeps
2) it stopped responding - clicking on the taskbar icon did nothing.
3) I right-clicked on the window to kill the process, which delayed for a while before closing (I thought it was an orphaned process, but eventually it closed by itself).

Darthagnon

This bug is still present in the latest version of MusicBee (3.4.8033); happened to me a few days ago, August 2022. It unpredictably becomes unresponsive; music might even continue playing, but the GUI does nothing, and it has to be force-killed from Task Manager/Process Hacker otherwise it will leave an orphaned process and be un-reopenable.

I suspect it may have something to do with GPU switching (Nvidia Optimus) on laptops and .NET - paint.NET also has some problems on my own and a friend's laptops, where use of the GPU draws invisible selection rectangles.

Please let me know if I can provide debug logs or anything.

Darthagnon

It just happened again, on resume from sleep. Musicbee GUI was unresponsive on the taskbar, only returning to fullscreen after a few seconds, and was just unresponsive on fullscreen. Killing via context menu left an orphan process, which had to be killed via Task Manager. Upon reopening, it worked perfectly. Error log had nothing in it (save outdated entries from months ago).

phred

• Global Moderator
I suggest trying 3.5 from the downloads section of the forum and then applying the patch in my signature.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Darthagnon

Tested again with latest beta plus the patch phred linked. Still occurs - resumed from sleep, MusicBee sitting unresponsive in taskbar, can only be fully killed from Task Manager.

AV isn't causing it; I use no 3rd party AV and have disabled Windows Defender. Occasional manual Malwarebytes scans, virustotal and not running metallica.mp3.exe are enough for me.

Are there any caches I can clear? I might just do a full reinstall of Musicbee; now that I think of it, I did add a few plugins and themes. Maybe removing all of those will help.

EDIT: I've disabled all plugins. Let's see if that does anything. I did notice a plugin called "pause on lock" that sounds like it could cause issues like this if glitched.
Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:59:10 PM by Darthagnon

Darthagnon

Ooh, so far so good. Resume from sleep, rest of the computer lagged (due to Chromium), but MusicBee was responsive. Will try a couple more times before enabling plugins one by one, then probably kicking myself for installing wacky plugins.

phred

• Global Moderator
Did you reinstall or just disable the plugins?

Either way the DLNA/UPnP plug is known to be a memory hog - sometimes to the point of locking up MB and/or blue-screening Windows. So if that's one that you're going to reinstall, I suggest testing all the others (one by one) first and if all is well, take a change and install DLNA. Note that it can cause the problem even if it's not being used, but is installed. Check the plugin's thread for more details.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Darthagnon

Since disabling all plugins, MusicBee has been fully responsive all the time, despite other parts of my computer doing their regular glitches. Cause of Musicbee locking up: a plugin. (I only disabled them, not uninstalled. I do have the DLNA plugin, as well as a couple that connect to web services like Spotify/LastFM and "pause on lock", Win10 media controls plugin, taskbar progress plugin. Prime suspects.)

I will test, and post back here with which one it was.

galactica12

Apologies for the bump on an older post, but I might have an idea as to what reproduces it. I've noticed since upgrading to Win11 that anytime the monitor configuration changes (including a sleep/lock) this MusicBee lockup seems to occur.

That said, since using the latest version - 3.5.8296 (recently updated from 8249)and I have not been able to reproduce it as easily, so that's a good sign!

Darthagnon

Apologies for the bump on an older post, but I might have an idea as to what reproduces it. I've noticed since upgrading to Win11 that anytime the monitor configuration changes (including a sleep/lock) this MusicBee lockup seems to occur.

That said, since using the latest version - 3.5.8296 (recently updated from 8249)and I have not been able to reproduce it as easily, so that's a good sign!

Are you using any plugins? I was under the impression mine had the same cause, but it hasn't reoccurred since disabling all my plugins. Win10 v1709

galactica12

Yup! Mine has discordbee, media control, and theater mode all active but no longer freezing up since the latest update.. I'm also running a fairly recent W11 build.

Your version of Windows is nearly 5 years old if you're on 1709, maybe that might not be helping?