Author Topic: Request to enhance Edit Track form (tags section)  (Read 10213 times)

Lore

Hi,

Based on http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3172.0 I'm asking to enhance the Edit Track form, in the Tags and Tags (2) section:

- I'd like a mass update for tags that are not listed in standard fields (e.g. Encoder etc); actually the Tag Inspector only works when a single track is selected;
- I'd like Tag Inspector to allow multi selection of tags (e.g. if I want to delete n tags from Tag Inspector, I've to select and delete them one by one);
- A third request is the following: if I select tracks with different values in a certain field, is it possible to have it indicated e.g. with <multi values> or something like that (in Tags, Tags(2) and Tag Inspector)?
Example:
- I've 2 tracks with 2 different values in the Comments tag;
- If I select them together and edit them, the Comments field is empty, just like a really empty Comments information.

What I'd want is something that distinguishes empty fields from multi-value fields.
Thanks,
Lore

Talos

Don't know if this helps, but I have seen some similar behavior.  I play 99% FLAC files.  I inadvisedly ripped several hundred of these files with EAC set to save tags in ID3 format.  I now leave that box unchecked, and presumably the tags are now Ogg or something similar.

Anyway, on the FLAC files with ID3 tags, you can only click Tag Inspector if one file is selected.  With multiple files selected, Tag Inspector is greyed out.  On the files with Ogg (or whatever) tags, you can click Tag Inspector with multiple files selected, and edit them accordingly.

Other related odd behavior with FLAC files with ID3 tags; if you select multiple artists you will often find a phantom entry is created in the artists "splitter" dialog box.  This entry is characterized as "Performer" and contains several - usually all - of the individual artists.  You can't delete this, or at least if you do they keep coming back.  This behavior is not apparent with "Ogg" tags.

People tell you not to write ID3 tags into FLAC files... :)

Pittiplatsch

I full agree to Lores requests. I would like to see this behavior in musicbee too.

boroda

+1 for all, except for one:
- A third request is the following: if I select tracks with different values in a certain field, is it possible to have it indicated e.g. with <multi values> or something like that (in Tags, Tags(2) and Tag Inspector)?
For now if tag has multiple values then checkbox near the tag is unticked, if tag has empty value for all selected tracks then checkbox is ticked.

Blinghound

+1, I would find  this extremely useful (as would many others), and in turn, would allow me to completely get rid of mp3tag.

A method of editing multiple songs from the tag inspector (similar to the view extended tags in mp3tag) would be perfect.

@boroda74, I partly agree, although I must admit it is easy to miss, and having something like '<multi>' would certainly be more intuitive. Just my opinion though :)

cartman005

I agree with this request as well. I don't know how easy it would be to make the Tag Inspector work with multiple selections, but it would sure be helpful. Especially when I add a bunch of files from online that have junk tags everywhere advertising their website that I want to remove.

Also, editing the options like skip when shuffling for multiple selections would be great.

Lore

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread as I've seen another request for multiple selection in tag inspector; my request, besides others, would be to select both multiple tags and multiple files if possible.
Regards,
Lore

ma_t14

Maleko12

It would be fantastic if Steven can implement these requests, especially the tag Inspector one... been wanting that one for months now :D

Steven

• Administrator
i'll be honest about this request - its quite difficult and would require a change to a core part of the musicbee tag editing functionality which is well tested and stable.
i don't have the appetite to do this and all the grief it could potentially cause

ma_t14

i'll be honest about this request - its quite difficult and would require a change to a core part of the musicbee tag editing functionality which is well tested and stable.
i don't have the appetite to do this and all the grief it could potentially cause

Maybe sometime in the future... MusicBee 2.0  ::)

Lore

Hi Steven,

I understand your concern, I prefer stability over new features so no problem :)
Let me add another kind of request: basically I made these requests because there are many cases where tags that I find unuseful are present (e.g. web site, "advertising" tags etc.) and these "strange" tags are only visible from the Tag Inspector; I'd like to remove all these unneeded tags in a massive way.
My new idea is the following: is it possible to add, in the Album Auto Tag, an option to wipe existing tags and write the ones coming from tag information sites (Musicbrainz etc.)? In this way I'd be sure unneeded tags are removed and I would only have the ones I need.
This request wouldn't cover albums where information cannot be retrieved from such sites but at least it would be a good compromise for most albums.
Thanks and regards,
Lore
Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:00:25 AM by Lore

cartman005

Yes Lore, that is exactly the thing that I always go through and remove from my my music files. I absolutely hate when websites cover every tag with www.mycrappywebsite.com as if that is going to attract new readers.

Lore

Hi Steven,

I'm bumping this thread to know if what I proposed at reply # 11 (wipe tags before auto-tagging) can be implemented; unfortunately I miss a way to mass remove tags and this is the only compromise I thought about.
Thanks and regards,
Lore

Steven

• Administrator
i am still thinking about this - i dont get much time to think!