Author Topic: Can we add roles for "role /instrument" in the Multiple Artist Splitter?  (Read 2055 times)

Fivda

Most of the roles i attribute are "Arranger" but it's never autofilled. To accelerate my tagging I was wondering if it was possible to add a default role alongside Artist/guest artist/performer/remixer so that i would just have to type in "arr" or click to type "arranger" automatically.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Not possible at the moment, but you can ask for this thread to be moved to the wishlist board. I'd support it, since I could get rid of the custom tag I use for arrangers. Or maybe "remixer" can simply be changed to "contributors," which could include recording/mastering/mixing engineers, producers, arrangers, orchestrators, remixers and the like?

Fivda

I didn't get a notification for replies for some reason, but yeah, I'd like to move this to wishlist.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
since I could get rid of the custom tag I use for arrangers

You could already do this, you just need to enter the arranger credit manually, as the OP says. I will move the post to the wishlist.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The Incredible Boom Boom

since I could get rid of the custom tag I use for arrangers

You could already do this, you just need to enter the arranger credit manually, as the OP says. I will move the post to the wishlist.

Right, arrangers and the like fall under IPLS for ID3v2.3 tags, which MB reads under <Artists: Performer> or <Instruments: Performers>. For displaying non-performers (musician and vocalists) sometimes an unwieldy regexp is needed to separate them from performers, but if MusicBee consolidated IPLS/TIPL:arranger/engineer/producer/DJ-mix/mix, Remixer and TXXX:Writer under one tag, they would be far easier to access (and use fewer custom tags!)

Fivda

Yeah, turns out that after restarting my PC the autofilling process does function (?)
Now my (minor) issue would be that searching my library for the word "guitar" or "vocals" redirrect to those roles in the search, but I don't really want that. But i do want the results to display the artists who do any kind of roles.

To be more explicit in what I mean, i mean that i don't want to find any results on a certain track just because i searched "arrange" and there's that one track that has artist tags with an arranger role linked to it. But i do want to find "Toshimichi Isoe" while searching for that name because of the assigned arranger role assigned to a certain track when searching for this name, for example.

The reason why i want such specific options is that I often use my own tagged library to search for specific artists, and then search out every individual track they might have worked on through the entire library search mode. Hence why i need the roles to be accounted when I'm searching for them (and it does work so no problem on that part).

And the reason why i don't want the "arrange" word taken in account during searches is that some tracks have "arranged version" etc in their name, and i don't want those to be mixed with the role in itself. I just can't think of any reason why i would search for a role or instrumlent and wish to get my whole tagged library to show me any track remotely linked to the words in question.

frankz

You know you can limit searches to specific tags, right?  It's an option in the search box drop-down.  When you're doing a search such as you describe, just limit your search to the specific tag(s).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You might also try putting "Artists: Performers" in a column browser. I believe that displays the role along with the person's name, but even if not you can quickly select specific people with performer credits that way.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)