Author Topic: Should "Keep Tracks in Sequence When Shuffling" Apply to Playlist Mixers?  (Read 3398 times)

frankz

I recently started using "Keep Tracks in Sequence When Shuffling" rather than stitching songs that should be together into one file because I'm converting to using my FLAC files and want to maintain the integrity of my rips.

I also recently started using Playlist Mixers.

I noticed that "Keep Tracks in Sequence When Shuffling" works perfectly in auto-playlists, but that this setting does not carry over into Playlist Mixers.  Is this expected?

For me, I always want to hear Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, The End together in order no matter how they're selected, so it seemed natural that this would also apply to playlist mixers.

Just checking to see if this is intended. 

It is also very possible that it's something to do with the way my mixers are set up.  It's like 14 levels of complicated based on auto-playlists and excluding things that are in other mixers, in which case mea culpa and I'll figure something out on my end.
Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:59:12 PM by frankz

phred

• Global Moderator
Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, The End
Probably the best sequence of songs of all time.

Except that I'd start it with Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam, and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
I will look at the code later but i expect that the limit on each mix component may need to be broken in order to fully respect the "keep tracks in sequence". However if it is within the limit then it should be working so might be a bug

Steven

• Administrator
I confirm it usually doesn't work in v3.3 due to how MB constructs the playlist mix however it should work a lot better in v3.4 but still subject to the limit in a mix component breaking the sequence. I will probably address the last point in v3.4 and leave the issue unsolved for v3.3

edit:
actually it doesnt work as well as it should in v3.4 but in any case i will only focus on addressing it for v3.4
Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:05:38 AM by Steven

frankz

Uh, oh. Where are Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam and She Came In Through The Bathroom Window?

(3.4.7518)

Playlist Mixer pulling from Auto-Playlists verified to include the missing tracks.
Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 07:25:30 AM by frankz

frankz

Shouldn't there be a check tick in that box?
Only if I were editing it at the time, which I was not.  It was a previously applied value.

(Please understand I know how to properly tag Abbey Road, which I've been listening to for my entire adult life and several years before it).
Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 07:11:10 AM by frankz

hiccup

Shouldn't there be a check tick in that box?
Only if I were editing it at the time, which I was not.  It was a previously applied value.

Ah, I was looking at the Tag editor panel. (I don't use the feature myself)

frankz

It's OK.  I listened to them anyway.  Take that, Playlist Mixer!  She could steal, but she could not rob.

frankz

I know I made a jokey-type post about this, but just FYI this is consistently not working as I'd expect it to.  Maybe my expectations are off. 

What I'd expect when setting "Keep tracks in sequence when shuffling" is that always - in any context across the entire program - these tracks will be considered as one.  Always played together for an auto-playlist, always played together for a playlist mixer, always played together in Auto-DJ.

What I used to do in these situations is rip the tracks as a range in EAC and then make up a title for them, skip a track number or two in the album sequencing, and let that be that.  Observing the original track numbering and titling seems much more "correct," but that only works if playback cooperates.

If I'm off about how it's supposed to work I can go back to one big "Golden Slumbers Medley" or "Brain Damage / Eclipse" file, but I'd rather keep albums as they were intended if at all possible.

Steven

• Administrator
What I'd expect when setting "Keep tracks in sequence when shuffling" is that always - in any context across the entire program - these tracks will be considered as one.  Always played together for an auto-playlist, always played together for a playlist mixer, always played together in Auto-DJ.
is it possible the selection criteria is excluding the tracks?

edit:
i see your earlier response indicated the tracks weren't excluded. To keep the analysis simpler, are you saying the issue also happens with auto-playlists? If yes, can you post a screenshot of the auto-playlist settings
Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:05:42 AM by Steven