Author Topic: ripping cd alpha-numerical problem  (Read 4869 times)

glad2bnfla

When I rip CD's as wav files, all of the tracks from a cd end up in alphabetical order without track numbers. I cannot seem to find a setting to correct this. Help please? 

SkyZippr

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Ripping
See the section 'file naming when ripping each track as a separate file'.
Track number should be added by default. If '<Disc-Track#>' tag is missing in your setting, add it back.

glad2bnfla

I checked the rip settings and the default string has the track number included as shown.

SkyZippr

That sounds strange. Does it happen to a specific CD, or does it happen to all of your CDs?

phred

• Global Moderator
I checked the rip settings and the default string has the track number included as shown.
A screenshot of the RIP settings might be helpful.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

glad2bnfla

I am a recent new user and it happened on the first 4 cd's I ripped.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I wonder if it has to do with the unstandardized nature of WAV tagging. What happens if you rip to a different format? If you want lossless, you'll get smaller files and better tagging support with FLAC.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

glad2bnfla

I prefer the wav format and these discs rip correctly when using WMP so there might be a bug with this ripping tool.

Steven

• Administrator
What version are you using (help/ about)?
If its not the latest from the downloads page then please update
If it is the latest version, if you open one of the wav files in the tag editor, does the track number display and if no, does it show when you edit it and save the file

glad2bnfla

It is version 3.3.7367. When I open the tag editor, it looks OK there. This problem occurred when I retrieved the folder containing the CD from the music bee ripped files folder to move it to another device.

SkyZippr

It is version 3.3.7367.
There's a patched version. Use the link in either phred's or psychoadept's signature.
For the record, I ripped some of my CDs in WAV format, and the track number was present in both the file name and the tag.
If you update to the latest patched version and still have the issue, could you post a screenshot of your CD ripping setting?

This problem occurred when I retrieved the folder containing the CD from the music bee ripped files folder to move it to another device.
I fear that I might have misunderstood your issue when I first replied.
Is the issue you're having the track number being missing from the FILE NAME, or the TAG?
Do the tracks show up in alphabetic order in Musicbee, or another player software, or Windows Explorer, or another device?

glad2bnfla

The track numbers are missing in the tags. If I open the file in Windows 10 and right click properties and go to the details tab, the track number field is blank. I first noticed the problem when I moved the folders of newly ripped cd's to my WMP library. The running order of the songs for each CD was put in alphabetical order and the track numbers were missing.

frankz

What version are you using (help/ about)?
If its not the latest from the downloads page then please update
If it is the latest version, if you open one of the wav files in the tag editor, does the track number display and if no, does it show when you edit it and save the file

glad2bnfla

I had answered this question previously......"It is version 3.3.7367. When I open the tag editor, it looks OK there. This problem occurred when I retrieved the folder containing the CD from the music bee ripped files folder to move it to another device".

SkyZippr

I wonder if it has to do with the unstandardized nature of WAV tagging.
I think this is where the issue is.
When I open the WAV I ripped in tag editor, the track number is there. But the tag inspector is completely blank.
When I open the properties in Windows Explorer, all tags are blank. None of them is editable.
EDIT: By updating to 3.3.7460, the tags do show up in the explorer.

As glad2bnfla mentioned WMP could rip them correctly, I gave it a try.
All the tags does show up, although none of them is editable.
It seems that WMP has managed to find a way to write the tag into WAV files, but due to the nature of WAV, the tags cannot be edited.

EDIT: I apologize for misunderstanding your issue when I first replied. I mistakenly thought that you were saying the track number was missing from file name. My first replies must've been confusing.
Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:18:50 AM by SkyZippr