Author Topic: Movie Backdrops and <MovieOrAlbum> Tag  (Read 4470 times)

The Incredible Boom Boom

Since this request deals with functionality already available within MusicBee, I'm going to start with a list of the various requests by order of desirability and follow with detailed explanation below.

Request #1: Ignore <Artist> tag if <MovieOrAlbum> or <Album> or <Album Artist> is not null
Request #2: Ignore <Album> tag if <MovieOrAlbum> is not null
Request #3: Implementing more databases beyond The Movie Database***

From my understanding in the thread between Steven and redwing that lead to the creation of the <MovieOrAlbum> tag, if <Genre> contains "Soundtrack" and the <MovieOrAlbum> is not null, then the displayed picture should be whatever is in the <MovieOrAlbum> tag and not revert to the artist photo. Note that the linked thread refers to the use of this feature in Theater Mode, however, soundtrack backdrops are displayed in other views as well. Plus, the expected behavior does not happen even in Theater Mode.

First, what works.
<Genre> contains "Soundtrack" for all examples from here on out.
If the <Artist> matches the <Album Artist> and the <Album> is precisely the name of the soundtrack, then the correct soundtrack (usually) backdrop displays properly.

<Artist> Danny Elfman
<Album Artist> Danny Elfman
<Title> Main Titles
<MovieOrAlbum> Corpse Bride
<Album> Corpse Bride

The above parameter is ok in many, if not most cases. However...

Request #1: Ignore <Artist> tag if <MovieOrAlbum> or <Album> or <Album Artist> is not null
When the <Artist> differs from the <Album Artist>, MusicBee displays the <Artist> photo instead of the movie backdrop as expected.

<Artist> Albert Finney, Joanna Lumley, Paul Whitehouse and Tracey Ullman
<Title> According to Plan
<Album> Corpse Bride

This is the programmed behavior and even mentioned in the guide, but I can't understand the rationale, or why even the <Artist> and <Album Artist> tags are used to determine the output of the soundtrack backdrop in the first place. My only guess is <Artist> and/or <Album Artist> helps distinguish among movies or soundtracks with the same name, but, if so, this doesn't seem to work, as...

<Artist> Robin Williams
<Album Artist> Alan Menken
<Title> Legend of the Lamp
<MovieOrAlbum> Aladdin
<Album> Aladdin

...shows me backdrops from the 2019 movie, rather than the original 1992 one.

Request #2: Ignore <Album> tag and use <MovieOrAlbum> if it is not null
Per Steven and redwing's conversation in the aforementioned thread, this was my interpretation of how the feature would work and if this request is implemented, it would nullify the previous one.

From what I can tell, <MovieOrAlbum> doesn't seem to affect MB's behavior at all.

<Artist> Danny Elfman
<Title> Main Titles
<Album> Danny Elfman & Tim Burton 25th Anniversary Music Box

According to the guide...
Where do pictures show up?

You can see movie backdrops in modern compact player, playing track panel, and some theater mode views that use gallery element and "MovieOrAlbum" field (instead of "Album" field).

And also...

Many of my soundtrack albums have a different album name from the original movie title like "Top Gun - Motion Picture Soundtrack" instead of "Top Gun". Can MB find web pictures with that kind of album name?

No, it can't. You have two choices. Rename the album to "Top Gun" (if this is not working, consult "compilation album" guide below) or tell MB the exact movie title of the album using Artwork Downloader tool (Tool> Download Artwork). Tick "movie backdrops for soundtracks" and tick the file, then you will be prompted to enter the movie name to associate with the file. Such mapping is saved to SavedSountrackMappings.dat file in AppData folder (the file is uneditable).

These statements seem contradictory to me. Would not a better execution of this feature would be to have the <MovieOrAlbum> tag override the <Album> tag when determining soundtrack backdrops? That way soundtracks can be named by their proper titles, they will scrobble to the correct Last.fm URL, there won't be clutter from having to name two distinct albums by the same name and compilations would display backdrops without needing to use the Artwork Downloader.

Request #3: Implementing more databases beyond The Movie Database***
Support for musicals and video games (and anything others can think of... operas?)

Movie backdrops are a dope feature and one of the things my friends comment highly on when I show them MusicBee. Thankfully, The Movie Database also references television shows and Japanese cartoons, which are probably the next most listened to soundtracks after movie ones, so that functionality is already there. But, expanding beyond movies to other sources where backdrops would look great would make this feature complete.

I marked this feature with asterisk's, because I wouldn't expect you to do the work in finding databases with the proper API and screenshot or backdrop support needed to implement them into MB. When I get a chance, I will update this request with potential sources, if they can be found and used.
Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:07:05 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

The Incredible Boom Boom

Bump, specifically for request two, where basically the presence of a <MOVIEORALBUM> tag would determine the movie back drop and override the current default behavior (which is <Album> + Regex.Match(file, @"\bSoundtrack\b") or whatever) feature. The <MOVIEORALBUM> tag is already a part of MusicBee, but I think in its current state it's fairly useless since it seems the <Album> tag and <Genre> to contain "Soundtrack" in order to function.

Alternatively, @Steven, how tightly integrated into the codebase is the movie back drop feature? Would it be something you could split out into a plugin, or perhaps give access to via the API?

Per Steven and redwing's conversation in the aforementioned thread, this was my interpretation of how the feature would work and if this request is implemented, it would nullify the previous one.

From what I can tell, <MovieOrAlbum> doesn't seem to affect MB's behavior at all.

<Artist> Danny Elfman
<Title> Main Titles

You can see movie backdrops in modern compact player, playing track panel, and some theater mode views that use gallery element and "MovieOrAlbum" field (instead of "Album" field).

And also...

Many of my soundtrack albums have a different album name from the original movie title like "Top Gun - Motion Picture Soundtrack" instead of "Top Gun". Can MB find web pictures with that kind of album name?

No, it can't. You have two choices. Rename the album to "Top Gun" (if this is not working, consult "compilation album" guide below) or tell MB the exact movie title of the album using Artwork Downloader tool (Tool> Download Artwork). Tick "movie backdrops for soundtracks" and tick the file, then you will be prompted to enter the movie name to associate with the file. Such mapping is saved to SavedSountrackMappings.dat file in AppData folder (the file is uneditable).

These statements seem contradictory to me. Would not a better execution of this feature would be to have the <MovieOrAlbum> tag override the <Album> tag when determining soundtrack backdrops? That way soundtracks can be named by their proper titles, they will scrobble to the correct Last.fm URL, there won't be clutter from having to name two distinct albums by the same name and compilations would display backdrops without needing to use the Artwork Downloader.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Request #2: Ignore <Album> tag if <MovieOrAlbum> is not null

First, what works.
<Genre> contains "Soundtrack" for all examples from here on out.
If the <Artist> matches the <Album Artist> and the <Album> is precisely the name of the soundtrack, then the correct soundtrack (usually) backdrop displays properly.

<Artist> Danny Elfman
<Title> Main Titles
<Album> Corpse Bride

The above parameter is ok in many, if not most cases. However...

<Artist> Danny Elfman
<Title> Main Titles

And also...

Bumping for possible v3.6 implementation. It would be really nice to use the Movie Backdrops feature without needing to rely on the <Album> or <Genre> tags to feature them properly.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Movie backdrops have always been my favourite thing about MusicBee ever since discovering the program.
When I started, I'll admit that #1 and #2 were quite bothersome for me too.

Example: For the song My Heart Will Go On from the Titanic soundtrack album,
The issue raised in #1 would suggest that Celine Dion should either be the false <album artist> or James Horner be the false <artist> for the feature to work ?

For the longest time, I played along by changing my tags to match the requirements, but I couldn't have it go on.
So I ended up getting into a habit of relying less & less on the automatic retrieval and started collecting & placing the images in the soundtracks folder myself.
I must say, I like how it led to me discovering the highest of possible backdrop resolutions that I wouldn't otherwise have acquired using just TMDB.

Anyway, more to the point, I'm in agreement with both of Boom Boom's requests - even though they now won't be of much benefit to me anymore

+1
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore