Author Topic: some skinning issues: contrast, checkboxes, selected lines  (Read 6702 times)

hiccup

For lower-contrast skins, the auto-applied lowering of contrast of some elements don't always give good results:

The first two circled items should be self-explanatory.
The third circle is probably not that obvious: if you look very carefully you might be able to spot the cursor there...

So this is a request to either improve the auto adjustments, or supply skinning elements for these items.

These checkboxes don't adhere to 'disabled' elements.

I have an itchy suspicion this may have come up in the distant past before, so feel free to ignore if it has and/or it's not easy to solve:
When using horizontal devider lines, the bottom border line of the selected item turns out nice, but the upper one has an nasty battle with the existing divider line touching it.

In the best case scenario it makes the top line looks fuzzy, worst case scenario, it's really ugly:

Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:31:27 AM by psychoadept

fred

You can change the width of the cursor in Windows Settings->Cursor & Pointer. I changed the size of mine:

As for the Preferences dialogue here's how it looks for me:

And as for auto-contrast it looks ok here:

Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:31:57 AM by psychoadept

hiccup

You can change the width of the cursor in Windows Settings->Cursor & Pointer. I changed the size of mine:
Thnx, but this is not about the size of the cursor, it's about it's colour.

As for the Preferences dialogue here's how it looks for me:
This is an example of what 'disabled' elements look like:

And as for auto-contrast it looks ok here:

It's great that in many other skins the auto-contrast works well, but in some it doesn't.
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:32:15 AM by psychoadept

fred

Rhetorical question - please enlighten me as to how you can change the (a) the colour of the red cursor (b) the blue background?

Answer: you can't because this is standard Windows - if you wan't to control the background colour when you highlight in a text box you have to write your own textbox control which you can't use in MusicBee. Secondly I have not seen a skinning element that allows me to control the colour of the mouse pointer, the insert thingy or the cursor. If your visual senses are really acute you can see the cursor flashing for approx 5 secs before it becomes a semi-transparent colour (if not it would obscure the character below it.

As to auto-colouring from a quick calculation it would appear that that the derived colour is about 60% darker than the base colour, so what you see is down to your choice of text colour. On your skin auto-coloured text becomes unreadable when text colour is 102,102,102. I'll investigate disabled check boxes next
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:32:30 AM by psychoadept

hiccup

Answer: you can't because this is standard Windows - if you wan't to control the background colour when you highlight in a text box you have to write your own textbox control which you can't use in MusicBee.

You are confusing two different cursors.

This is the orange one that you are speaking of, and is always partnered with a selected field:

This is the one I am talking about and am requesting a skinning element for (if that can be done that is):

Look good, there really is a cursor somewhere there.

fred

OK here's a screenshot of the "disabled problem:

Now if I can prove to you that the the only things that have a blue border are:
 <element id="Controls.InputControl.Default" bg="255,255,255" fg="255,255,0" bdr="0,0,255" />
 <element id="Controls.InputControl.Disabled" bg="colour_1" fg="colour_4" bdr="0,0,255" />
 <element id="Controls.InputControl.Highlight" bg="0,0,0" fg="255,255,255" bdr="0,0,255"/>
 <element id="Controls.InputControl.Lowlight" bg="255,255,255" fg="225.225.0" bdr="colour_4" />
 <element id="Controls.InputControl.Modified" fg="colour_2" />
If you look at the screen shot what do you see see- text boxes
What do you conclude from this?
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:32:46 AM by psychoadept

hiccup

OK here's a screenshot of the "disabled problem:

Again, you misunderstand.

This is my original screenshot:

The option to check the filetype boxes is disabled. (because you need to restart MB in admin mode to change those setting)

But do the checkboxes look disabled compared to other disabled checkboxes in MusicBee's interface?
No they don't.
Why? Probably because there is no disabled element for this situation.

That's all.

If Steven designed it like this on purpose, or has the opinion that it isn't important enough to change, no problem.

edit:
In case somebody is wondering if this is a skin dependent issue; nope.

This is MusicBee's standard skin:

---

You have now argued pretty much every issue I raised here.
And in my opinion you were mistaken or confused about every single one.

It's probably not your intention (I hope), but I feel you are derailing and confusing this thread.
(And b.t.w., your gigantic screenshots don't help much either in keeping things clean and focused here.)

Please consider if you want to keep discussing things here in the way you are doing now.
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:33:10 AM by psychoadept

fred

Disabled check boxes:

In the <images> section there is this element:

<element id="CheckTickDisabled">Images\Icons\CheckTickDisabled.png</element>

I changed the colour of the tick to pure red and changed the colour of disabled text to red (I use the disabled text colour to soften borders hence the amount of red you will see).

When I start MB and go to the Preferences->General I see this:

Ticks are black not red. When I go the Sound Effects section I see this:

Here the ticks are red
As expected when I tick the crossfade box I see this:

Everything is as expected - check boxes and text go back to black but if I uncheck it I see this:

Notice how the box now has a red tick whereas before it was blank

There are 2 other disabled tick boxes in Sorting and CD rip they are both red.

My conclusion is that the first case (General) is a bug but YMMV. Hopes this clarifies the issue.

By the way if you go to Musicbee.exe->Properties->Compatability there is a check box that enables you to run MB as administrator.

I have a large 27" monitor so if you know of a scalable screenshot taker then give me a link
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:33:54 AM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
(And b.t.w., your gigantic screenshots don't help much either in keeping things clean and focused here.)

I have a large 27" monitor so if you know of a scalable screenshot taker then give me a link

You can add a width element to your img tags, like this:

Code
[img width=500]

The images will be reduced (or expanded) to that size, and you can click on it to see the original.

I've changed all the images in this thread (except the really small ones) to width=500, to demonstrate.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

fred

Many thanks for the heads up about managing img sizes - I'll definitely be aware of image size

hiccup

hiccup

Since this thread has been derailed with only incorrect answers and assumptions, unsollicited 'clarifications' that miss the point, confusing elaborations, and a moderator kindly helping and teaching a user how to correctly post screenshots, I am going to repeat my complete startpost.

Hopefully this will remain the most recent post in this thread until somebody replies with something that is actually helpful and to the point.

If more replies get posted that are not helpful and/or factually pertaining to these issues, I will ask a moderator to remove them from this thread.

Here's a carbon copy repeat of the complete startpost:

- - -

For lower-contrast skins, the auto-applied lowering of contrast of some elements don't always give good results:

The third circle is probably not that obvious: if you look very carefully you might be able to spot the cursor there...

So this is a request to either improve the auto adjustments, or supply skinning elements for these items.

These checkboxes don't adhere to 'disabled' elements.

I have an itchy suspicion this may have come up in the distant past before, so feel free to ignore if it has and/or it's not easy to solve:
When using horizontal devider lines, the bottom border line of the selected item turns out nice, but the upper one has an nasty battle with the existing divider line touching it.

In the best case scenario it makes the top line looks fuzzy, worst case scenario, it's really ugly:

Steven

• Administrator

for the next v3.4 update, I have added a skin element that boosts lower contrast values.
Code
<element id="ContrastBoost">0.2</element>
Its not ideal as it does the same on all the panels, and the playing tracks panel in your skin's case doesn't need it
For the cursor, I think that's set by windows and i cant change the colour it uses.
By the way, your jukebox skin is referring to a custom icon that's not included in the pack.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkx9mn38mybdpaa/MusicBee.zip/file

3 is not easily solved

2 should now be fixed
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:19:47 AM by Steven

hiccup

By the way, your jukebox skin is referring to a custom icon that's not included in the pack.

Can you tell me what icon that is?
I checked twice but I don't see it.

Steven

• Administrator