Author Topic: Is there any way to create a hotkey which jumps straight to a certain playlist?  (Read 2571 times)

RS1

I use MusicBee to play music for my D&D group. I have music which is in a playlist of "Peaceful" then, when we enter a battle, I'll have one called "Combat". I have about 15 different playlists like this but being able to hotkey between the main 4 or 5 playlists would be awesome.

I'm always in a different application when I'm playing music so not have to Alt-Tab between them allows me to move this on quickly. I also have additional software which could tie it to certain lighting conditions in the app I use so this would be a huge win which would let me focus on my game.

RS1

Not sure that's going to work for me but thank you.

I really just need a way to hotkey my existing playlists and I think Touchpad would need an integration with musicbee first. There is also the issue that a D&D session can run for 5 hours which is a long time for having a phone open.

Dryst

If I were you, I would find a tool that allows you to setup global hotkeys that then allow for a customized program to launch with parameters.  I am sure there is one out there.

Save all your individual playlists to external files.  After this, create hotkeys for each playlist using keyboard shortcuts.  Your commands would look like this:

Code
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" /Play C:\Playlists\playlist1.m3u

When this command gets executed, MusicBee will add only this playlist to it's playing queue and remove everything else that was there.  This will do what you need.  You simply have to find a tool that allows for keyboard shortcut creation.  There's probably bunches out there that will do this.

wobbly

If I were you, I would find a tool that allows you to setup global hotkeys that then allow for a customized program to launch with parameters.  I am sure there is one out there.

Save all your individual playlists to external files.  After this, create hotkeys for each playlist using keyboard shortcuts.  Your commands would look like this:

Code
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" /Play C:\Playlists\playlist1.m3u

When this command gets executed, MusicBee will add only this playlist to it's playing queue and remove everything else that was there.  This will do what you need.  You simply have to find a tool that allows for keyboard shortcut creation.  There's probably bunches out there that will do this.
you can just set a hotkey  in the right click properties menu  of shortcut no tools needed

Dryst

you can just set a hotkey  in the right click properties menu  of shortcut no tools needed

This could be done, but AutoHotKey is more robust, flexible, and powerful.  It's also 100% free.

RS1

If I export the playlist to an m3u file and associate m3u files with musicbee then double clicking on it, or triggering it from a hotkey, starts the playlist playing. Unfortunately, it immediately stops the current track (there's no blend between the playlists like when I click on the playlist in the muscibee UI) and it plays the tracks in order.

Running any shortcut or batch file in the format  "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" /Play C:\Playlists\playlist1.m3u immediately pauses the music.

Thanks anyway.

Steven

• Administrator

Dryst

If I export the playlist to an m3u file and associate m3u files with musicbee then double clicking on it, or triggering it from a hotkey, starts the playlist playing. Unfortunately, it immediately stops the current track (there's no blend between the playlists like when I click on the playlist in the muscibee UI) and it plays the tracks in order.

Running any shortcut or batch file in the format  "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" /Play C:\Playlists\playlist1.m3u immediately pauses the music.

Thanks anyway.

The reason the music is getting paused is that I gave you an example of how to do it.  Do not use this exact text.  You must change it to match your playlist file that you exported.  MusicBee is pausing, because you are passing a playlist that does not exist on your C: drive.  That is an error, and it is simply stopping your current playback based on that error.  MusicBee is not reporting this error to you, but it is simply pausing your current playback.

What you must do is find the name of the playlist file that you exported.  Replace "C:\Playlists\playlist1.m3u" (that does not exist on your computer) with the full path and location of your exported playlist.

This is working correctly, but you need to make changes I noted above.

Dryst

try /QueueLast (or /QueueNext) instead of /Play

The original poster is confused.  I reproduced the pause issue with my currently playing music.  MusicBee will pause when command-line parameters are passed for files that do not exist.

For a table top roleplay game, it makes sense to instantly change music.  I am not sure this individual really wants to add playlists to queues, but this really is not clear from what was written.
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:20:45 PM by Dryst

RS1

So, to be clear, I do understand that I need to replace the playlist name with the one I have exported. I was simply using playlist1.m3u because that's the example you used.

If you export any playlist and call it using a command line this is what happens;

The music currently being played stops.
The new playlist loads in.
It does not play.

Also, to be clear, calling the playlist file, and associating m3u files with musicbee produced the same results.

I could create a batch file and make it play immediately or, as suggested, I could use autohotkey to create a macro but it's easier to just use my streamdeck to create a multi-action key. It doesn't get round the main issue though that it doesn't replicate the in program functionality where double-clicking on a playlist immediately cross-fades into that new playlist.

This is what I need really.  Not a screeching halt followed by a load of new songs.

/queuenext doesn't work because it loads the music files in order and ignores shuffle functionality. So choosing the playlist would always play them in the exact same order each time. 

Many thanks.