Author Topic: How to give priority to ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 over other type of tags  (Read 2206 times)

SpirosG

Hi , am trying to figure out if there is a way to give priority to ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 over other type of tags,
How could i do that?
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 03:10:21 PM by SpirosG

phred

• Global Moderator
Preferences > Tags (1) > tag storage > save MP3 tags as: choose from dropdown
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SpirosG

Preferences > Tags (1) > tag storage > save MP3 tags as: choose from dropdown

Hi thanks for the help.
I'am aware of this but is this option about which tags musicbee is reading and showing? I think is not because musicbee still prefers to show ID3v1 over ID3v2 if both are existing on a file.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'am aware of this but is this option about which tags musicbee is reading and showing? I think is not because musicbee still prefers to show ID3v1 over ID3v2 if both are existing on a file.
That option is for saving MP3 tags. I assume MB reads whatever tags are embedded in the file. I have only used ID3v2.3 since using MB ten years ago, so that's what's being read. I'm pretty sure there is no way to set a priority for which format to read if there is more than one present.

Hopefully someone more tag-savvy will respond.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

In files that have both ID3v1.1 and 2.3 in my library, MB defaults to showing the 2.3 tag in Edit (which I have selected for write priority in the place phred mentions).  The only way to tell within MB if a 1.1 (or an APE) tag also exists in the file is to use Tag Inspector (vs. just Edit), and check the appropriate tag type box, where it will then appear if present.

The external tagger Kid3 will default to showing all existing tags, including their contents, when opening a file.  IOW it doesn't have a "read priority" like MB or Mp3tag, it just shows it all.  Adding that as an external tool is an easy way to spot multiple tags.

SpirosG

Mp3tag has a nice "feature", you can choose what type of tags is displaying/reading. This would be a nice addition to Musicbee.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you have a use for the v1 tags? Almost everything supports at least v2.3, which has been around since 1999.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SpirosG

Do you have a use for the v1 tags? Almost everything supports at least v2.3, which has been around since 1999.

I don't, I remove them now (most of the times, when i remember to) but many DJ Pools (Where i get my files from most of the times) are also writing V1 tags to their files and this is very messy.
Mostly because there are times i forget to remove them and also because of my older files.
One other problem is that in some old files v1 contains Genre for example but v2 doesn't, so removing v1 tags from those old files is not option.
Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:32:30 PM by SpirosG

sveakul

One other problem is that in some old files v1 contains Genre for example but v2 doesn't, so removing v1 tags from those old files is not option.

The Kid3 tagger will allow you to group-select files and then copy over just the contents of a selected field like Genre from one tag type to another; then the unwanted tag type can be deleted. Probably Mp3tag has that ability also.  Just a suggestion for your own stuff.