Author Topic: Import old playlists?  (Read 603 times)

psychonaut25

So back in January I was still using Windows 7, and at some point I ran into a "no boot device" error when I booted my PC.  So I figured hey, what the hell... it's about time to upgrade to Windows 10 anyway, since 7 is about to be retired.

I did a fresh install, and got to work re-installing a lot of my old programs.  Also, I am able to access all of the files on my old Windows 7 C:\ drive, I just can't boot from it.

I had some playlists that I really wanted to keep on that old hard drive, but I don't know how to locate/import them.
My entire music collection was, and still is, on other hard drives in my PC.  The drive letters are all the same in my Windows 10 installation as they were in my Windows 7 installation, so were I able to import the old playlists, they should have no issues locating the music files on the hard discs.

Does anybody know if this is even possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

sveakul

Yes you can do this.  All your playlists exist as individual files, located by default in the Musicbee/Library/Playlists folder unless you had decided to put them elsewhere (see Prefs->Library->Playlists).  Note that my default path pertains to the Portable version.  If you copy all the playlists out of that folder into where your playlist folder is in the new MusicBee install you should be good to go, if all the file paths/drives remain the same as they were when you made the playlists.

Edit:  there is also a playlists index file in the Playlists folder, MusicBeeLibrary.pfidx, which you may need to copy over also.  I would do a Rescan All Files after doing the copy job to be sure the master library .mbl file picks everything up correctly.
Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:47:12 AM by sveakul

psychonaut25

Thank you!  I really appreciate that... it appears to have worked!