Author Topic: Add date to album folder, but not album title  (Read 2034 times)

voodoopunk

Hi all,

Is it possible when ripping from CD or manually adding FLAC files to add the date to the album folder, but not to the album title. I've looked at the auto-organise rules and can't really make any sense of it.

Thanks.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Sure, this is very common. Use a formula in your naming template like <Album> (<Date>).

There's more info on file organization here: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

voodoopunk

Thanks for the reply, I've changed the cd ripping naming convention, that was a lot simpler than expected.

Is there a way to do the same when manually adding files to the inbox, doing the post process on song titles, dates, genres etc... and then adding the album date when selecting send to > music library?

frankz

Select -> Right Click -> Send To -> Folder (Move) -> Move Files To Organized Folder.  There's a checkbox "add to library" at the bottom.
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization

voodoopunk

Hi frankz,

Unfortunately, I could not get that to work, no matter what I tried I ended up with two album folders in my library one with the date with no files in and the other with no date complete with the files and cover.

I used the following in the File Organiser window: naming template <Album Artist>\<Year> <Album>\<Disc-Track#> <Title>, "to folder" unticked and ticked "add to library".

Any ideas what I'm doing incorrectly?

Thanks

frankz

Maybe I'm unclear, but you say you want to move files to a folder and add them to your library, yet you've unticked "to folder"?  Why?

All of your current music files are in a root folder like C:\Music or D:\MyCollection or something that you then further organize by <Album Artist>, etc., right?  You'll want to put that root folder in the "to folder" and definitely check it.  If not, you're just moving the files around inside the folder where they already sit.

You've been pointed to the wiki page where all of these issues are explained twice. Did you read it?

voodoopunk

Hi frankz,

Yes, I've unticked folder, what's the point in ticking "Add to library" if I have to define a folder to move things to? Makes no sense. But, I'll give that a go too.

Thanks, yes I did indeed read the wiki page.

frankz

"Library" in this context is an internal musicbee database that catalogs information about your music files. It is not a folder location on your drive.

voodoopunk

Got it,

I'm still struggling to get it to work, the file organizer window shows the album folder with the date. But, when I select reorganise and check the folder in explorer it doesn't have the date. Hopefully the screenshot shows:

frankz

voodoopunk

Yes, Bib shows up in the correct place with the album The Face inside it, but there's no sign of the year.

Perhaps it's just me being a complete plank, nothing I've tried today has worked.

frankz

I'd be very interested in a screenshot of C:\users\voodoo\Music\MusicBee\Music\Bib

voodoopunk

I'll try, I didn't think the last screenshot worked as I couldn't see it in the preview. Hope you can see this:

frankz

You need to embed the image, not a link to the page with the image.

This is not what I asked, though.  One level up.

phred

• Global Moderator
Hope you can see this:
When you reply, there are instructions on how to add a screenshot. It is right above the formatting icons.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here