Author Topic: rip settings: naming template presets - invalid character replacement  (Read 1152 times)

eseb63

hello,
i am very new on musicbee, that i begin to test for my classical music collection.

i would have two wishes for cd ripping :

1) in the CD rip settings, we can define a naming template, but for classical music we need to use several ones to handle different cases : single cd vs boxset, one vs several composers, compilation or not, several versions of the same recording etc...
it would be very handy to have the option saving a naming template as a preset ; so for the next cd rip, we would not have to define again the template if neccessary, but simply to choose it among the defined presets. The preset might have a brief description which would help to choose it without having to read the detail of the template.

2) invalid characters for file path seem to be replaced by space : could we have in the options the ability to choose by which character replace each invalid one (like in EAC) ?

thanks in advance for the reply

Steven

• Administrator
2) invalid characters for file path seem to be replaced by space : could we have in the options the ability to choose by which character replace each invalid one (like in EAC) ?
open the file organiser (ctrl-R) and the Filename Char Mapping button allows you to set the characters - these are also used by the cd ripper

eseb63

thanks for the tip...

i see that presets are handled in the file organizer : any chance to have the same feature in CD Rip settings?

frankz

thanks for the tip...

i see that presets are handled in the file organizer : any chance to have the same feature in CD Rip settings?
I don't rip with MB or auto-organize, but can't you just rip them to a monitored folder and then set up your organization rules for monitored folders to get them moved and named from there?

I guess you don't even really need to monitor / auto-organize for that. You could just rip with generic file names and then use the organization presets to move things.

Seems there are ways to get where you want to go without modifying MB.

eseb63

@frankz
thanks for this idea ; i tried to rip with a basic template (only track# and title) in the inbox, then move them in another root folder using the file organizer and defining presets : it does the job...
so, its a workaround to achieve my goal but it has some drawbacks versus handling presets in the cd rip settings:
- less intuitive
- 2 steps vs 1
- less generic : if i need to change the "to folder" root,  i have to delete the presets and define them again ; in the cd rip settings,  i would not have to redefine the presets, but just change the inbox folder.

in addition, the choice could be more handy with a description of each template (a list of several templates is not very lisible)
template list

the code already exists for the file organizer, it needs "just" to be adapted a bit for the rip settings, so maybe one day ...

so i keep this wish :)  and think it could be shared by many users but i'll understand if other wishes are satisfied before this one...

Steven

• Administrator
As I said, the invalid char mappings set in the file organiser are also used by the cd ripper. I am not planning to add that dialog to the cd ripper

eseb63

one question about how is generated the preset name in the file organizer dialog :
- i always specify the same "to folder" and the checkbox is always ticked
- i always have the same source folder
and when generated, the preset name sometimes includes the "to folder" but sometimes not (see the screenshot below): i don't understand what i made different...
heterogeneous_naming_template_list
what are the generation rules ? when the "to folder" is not included?