Author Topic: Getting Rating and Year to save in file tags  (Read 2767 times)

Herb_N

I like to share my Music Bee Library across several computers. But I often lose ratings and/or tags when I import to a different computer. The Tag Inspector shows that these tags do not appear in the original although they are in the library of the original computer. I thought I had the right settings (see screenshot), but they are not getting saved as I expected. What am I doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/vafp7N4
Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:27:08 PM by psychoadept

Steven

• Administrator
You will need to provide more detail if you want someone to help eg. how exactly are you transferring the files

Herb_N

Transferring only caused me to become aware of the problem. On my main MusicBee installation all music shows up with ratings and Year of release. But I became aware when I tried to use them on a different computer that some were showing up without a rating or year. Using the Tag Inspector I discovered that those files on my main installation do not have Rating or Year tags although those values show up in MusicBee. Store ratings in music file is selected. Do I need to do something to retroactively get MB to write those tags into the music file?

Also, is there a tutorial for the right way to duplicate a MusicBee installation to a second computer and periodically synchronizing any changes in the main installation to the copy?

The Incredible Boom Boom

Why not keep a portable installation on a USB drive so you don't have to worry about transferring libraries and any of that?

Herb_N

Is there a step-by-step guide to copying/moving my MusicBee library and configuration to a portable installation?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Herb_N

I have created a portable installation of MusicBee and the program is working, but I cannot get my music library to linked to its new location. I have tried using the relink function but I cannot get the right syntax to have the files that were in D:\MyMusic\MyMusci\... to F:\MyMusic\... I need help please.

Roby

Hold shift while opening musicbee and choose the library.

frankz

I have created a portable installation of MusicBee and the program is working, but I cannot get my music library to linked to its new location. I have tried using the relink function but I cannot get the right syntax to have the files that were in D:\MyMusic\MyMusci\... to F:\MyMusic\... I need help please.
It's a text replacement.

Assuming by "my music library" you mean your music files and not your mbl MusicBee Library file, and assuming the "\..." means that everything that follows is the same between the old and new...

Old: D:\MyMusic\MyMusci  (Assuming that wasn't a misspelling)
New: F:\MyMusic

Herb_N

My issue is solved and I wanted to report the elegantly simple solution I used. With my music files still on a drive on my PC, I used the organize command in MB to move those files to my external drive and update the mbl, which I then manually moved to the Music Library folder on the external drive. Everything moved nicely and the portable application found it all.