Author Topic: Extraordinary CPU Usage since update  (Read 856 times)

i.so

Hi

since this problem has occupied me more and more I've decided to ask for help here.
I remember there was a major update where some technical thing about the data base was changed. Things changed like Playlists load faster and search is faster too, which is nice.
But I am pretty sure it is since then that MusicBee starts a process regularly occupying all the CPU power. Even on my gaming machine this takes a long while and is disturbing. But it makes it absolutely impossible to use MB on any low tech machine like my old netbook, which is bad cause playing music is a perfect task for a power saving low tech device.  

The process takes so long there that it never ends and of course you can do nothing else simultaneously, including playing music with MB. And it happens way to often to ignore it.

I'd be happy if there was a solution for this. I think it is nonsensical to return to the old data base, but maybe options to control, suspend or schedule this process would be great - or more importantly - to separate the process from the one playing music. The music must never ever stop  :)

I use the portable version, if this matters.

Iso
Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:27:37 PM by i.so

frankz

Latest version of MB here.  I usually see 140-175 Mb of memory usage. It's almost certainly a plug-in causing this. If I had to guess, because it's the only one I've personally seen misbehaving when it comes to memory, I'd guess it's the DLNA plug-in. 

phred

• Global Moderator
I'd guess it's the DLNA plug-in.
Frankz is probably correct. The DLNA plugin has been known to be a major memory CPU hog even if it's not being used. If you have it installed and are not using it, uninstall it. If you are using it, I suggest you post on the DLNA plugin thread. If you don't have it installed, then it's anyone's guess as to what might be causing the issue.

If you don't have it installed, try disabling -all- the plugins and restart MB. Then add them in one by one until you find the one that's causing the problem.
Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:17:28 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

I "Memory" but I meant CPU and I think phred did, too.

I had it active and not even in use back early on in my MB experience and would regularly see it jack CPU to 100% pinned for no reason. 

phred

• Global Moderator
I "Memory" but I meant CPU and I think phred did, too.
Yes, that's correct.

I had it active and not even in use back early on in my MB experience and would regularly see it jack CPU to 100% pinned for no reason.
Exactly what happened to me and many other users.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

i.so

yes, it must be the UPnP/DNLA plugin. I tested for a few days and the problem has not happend again. To bad, I used the plugin. But I can do without it.
Thanks for the help!