Author Topic: Donation via patreon?  (Read 1047 times)

basementjack

Hi, I just found MusicBee today and it's amazing!

I noticed the donate button and am happy to make a donation.

Steven, have you looked into platforms like Patreon?

Patreon is nice because it's a monthly donation - so instead of say a one time $20 paypal, we could setup $2/month, which then provides a bigger donation over time.

- Jack

Cloink

Hello Stephen,

I wuz gonna donate, but I don't 'do' PayPal.  Any other options?  (I might have been here before, now I think about it...)

Just a few minor (very!) disgruntlements, while I'm here:

(Incidentally, I haven't upgraded since 2017 (v3.1.6512), mainly because during the intervening time I translocated an install from one laptop to my current one, cos I haven't read the blurb and didn't want to ruin my prior library, so sorry if any of these have been fixed in the interim! -- or I should have just installed MB from scratch on my new lappy then translocated my library.)

1. When your disc ain't found on the internet, and you have to type in the song titles yourself, when you've finished one title and need to move onto the next, it seems you can only do this by reaching for the mouse and clicking onto the next title down in the list.  CDex (my prior ripper, quite a while ago now) moved onto the next song title with ENTER.

2. Very VERY minor disgruntlement indeed!  But I happening to be listening to The Wall (cummon guys: Pink Floyd of course!).  This is one of those albums where many songs merge into the next, so there isn't a clearly marked delineage from one track to the next, it's just how they decided it when they indexed the cd.  There's a very small, silent, glitch, when it goes from one track to the next.  It would be amazing if you could make it slip seamlessly from one track to the next!  Prog fans will love you!!

3. I did a mass-update of missing covers but I've had a number of mismatches, one was quite a long way out (can't remember, sorry, but there was only one word match).  Tricky one I know, just thought I'd mention.  Maybe there could be an 'interactive' version where when MB finds >1 match, or is <50% sure maybe, you could prompt the user to choose?

4. NOT a disgruntlement, an enhancement suggestion: CDex ripped multi-cd albums to different folders: ... CD1, ... CD2, etc.  I never liked this but didn't really think about it too much.  On my favourite discs, I might have post-intervened and renumbered the CD2 tracks to +(CD1 num tracks), then moved them into the CD1 folder and renamed, before adding it to (ugh) WMP.  The MusicBee way is (obviously) the best way of doing it!
    [disc-num]-[track-num]-etc
How about a search-and-detect similar scenarios to the above and convert into MB style?

5. 'Choose recommended by MusicBee' for encoding?  When I first started out with CDex, I didn't realise how horrible low-quality mp3s sounded (esp. in the high end: horrible clipped cymbals, for example).  I like my music but I'm not a music-techie!  I ended up choosing, in CDex, a 'variable bit rate' that seemed, if I read it correctly, to use higher bit rate for treble, lower bit rate for bass.  I figured that would be the best compromise betwen disk usage and quality.  MusicBee (if I recall correctly), made me choose how to record, but I really don't know what the best encoding is!  So I went to best quality mp3 based on CDex experience, but Stephen, you da man, and I reckon you know what the best encoder is.  Whaddy you use?!  Could you not prompt the user to choose?  (I know some encoders have to be downloaded separately under their own license, so again, not easy.)

Oh it's Run Like Hell now so I'll sign off and give you something to think about...!

Cheers, Clark.

phred

• Global Moderator
I wuz gonna donate, but I don't 'do' PayPal.  Any other options?  (I might have been here before, now I think about it...)
PayPal is the only option.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should probably start a new thread for other issues if they need lengthy discussion (one thread per issue is best).

Regarding updating, make a backup of your settings first but there's no reason updating the program would mess up anything, not coming from 3.1.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore

1. I don't have a way to test right now, but does down arrow do the trick?

2. You're looking for gapless playback. I know this is possible with MusicBee, but not sure of the exact settings. Look at Player Preferences and see if changing anything there helps.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Player_Preferences

3. Have you tried the artwork downloader in Tools?

4. Just use file organization. If you do a search for something like "path includes CD1" you can identify the specific tracks you need to fix. Or you can just make a template you like and apply it to everything.

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/File_Organization

5. I think you're going to be stuck using your own judgement on that one. I just rip everything to 320k MP3 for good measure, but I can't tell much difference above 256k. Some people can hear more detail than I can, apparently.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Cloink

Thanks for your response physcoadept.

I tried everything I could think of to move onto the next title, nothing worked from the keyboard, as far as I could find.

I'm on gapless playback, but nevertheless, there is still a small glitch between tracks, which you only notice when tracks merge.

That doesn't sound like it will
(a) move all files from CD2 folder to CD1 folder
(b) renumber/name CD2 folder songs to "02-"prefix name and in the properties
(c) rename CD1 folder, without "CD1"
(d) delete CD2 folder
- I know that's not trivial, I was just getting carried away on Saturday, I don't really expect such a feature, nevertheless it would be great if it were there.

In the olden days of computers we didn't have a choice!  We got what the software manufacturer gave us.  There could be a default or recommendation, which would be the expert's choice.

Thanks again, Clark.