Author Topic: Activivation Checks  (Read 2520 times)

hiccup

No, the box gets checked automatically when you edit the tag.

I see what you mean, but to get specific, it only gets checked when after editing you navigate to another field.
Not as soon as you entered/edited something. That would be more sensible for as far as I can estimate at the moment.

Quote from: hiccup
(if it indeed serves some 'undo' purpose, why would it only be available when multiple files are selected?)

Quote from: frankz
That's above my pay grade.

It's above my pay grade to even ask these questions.
But it looks like we have established that there is something wrong un-intuitive/inconsistent about the workings and purposes of these check boxes.
Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:36:20 PM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't know that it's wrong, but it would be helpful if the box was ticked as soon as you made a change rather than when navigating away. Just so you can be sure.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

I don't know that it's wrong, but it would be helpful if the box was ticked as soon as you made a change rather than when navigating away. Just so you can be sure.

What is 'wrong' about it, is that the check boxes only appear when you have selected multiple files, what suggests it has something to do with applying edits to multiple files. (or not)
(that's also what you will find as an explanation when you do a forum search on the matter)

But it seems we have established now that it serves as an indicator that will indicate that you have selected multiple files, and in that case it also indicates when you have edited a field. (only after you have navigated to another field)
But the latter purpose is not available when you have selected a single track.

Also, if it's purpose is indeed an 'undo' function, (besides that it should then also be available when editing a single track) it would probably be better to have it revert to showing the original values again after you unchecked the box.

Cut to the chase:
It's current purpose/function is ambivalent and not intuitive.

Not-a-bug, but room for improvement for sure.

Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:16:35 PM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. There's no "undo" function to the tickbox. When you have multiple files selected, it indicates that a change is being applied to all files. Unticking it is basically the same as closing without saving. The only time it would serve a purpose is if you'd changed multiple fields and wanted to save some but decided not to save another. You could untick the one you changed your mind about and leave the rest. But it's mostly just a visual indicator of "hey, you're applying this change to more than one file."

The only ambiguity is that if you change a field and don't navigate to another field, then the box is not ticked until you actually hit save (it is ticked at that point, but it may go by so fast you don't see it).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

There's no "undo" function to the tickbox.
The only time it would serve a purpose is if you'd changed multiple fields and wanted to save some but decided not to save another.

That's 'undo' in my book.

And why would the option of checking these boxes only be available when you have selected multiple files, and not when you have selected a single file?

I am still unconvinced that these checkboxes are not trying to do/indicate different things, and are unintuitive.

hiccup

Only criticising is not very fruitful, so here's a concrete proposal for a change:

There is an indication that shows if the edits that you will apply to the Tag Editor panel are applied to a single file or to multiple files.

Regardless if a single or multiple files are selected, checkboxes are present, but initially 'grayed-out'.

As soon as you start to edit a field, the checkbox for that field gets 'un-greyed', gets checked, and becomes available to uncheck. (for the purpose of when you have second thoughts, and want to undo what you have just entered)
In that case the original values are displayed again.
Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:57:25 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Regardless if a single or multiple files are selected, checkboxes are present, but initially 'grayed-out'.

As soon as you start to edit a field, the checkbox for that field gets 'un-greyed', gets checked, and becomes available to uncheck. (for the purpose of when you have second thoughts, and want to undo what you have just entered)
In that case the original values are displayed again.
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here