Author Topic: Activivation Checks  (Read 2453 times)

rkauke

First: MB is the best music program I've ever seen.
Second: In the "Edit" window for several titles there is an activation check for all entries. What is the function of the check?

frankz

A screenshot is needed here.

Where did you download MusicBee from?

rkauke

frankz

OK, it's not what I thought you were saying, which is why screenshots are helpful.

This isn't present "for some files."  These check boxes appear when you select multiple files. They indicate whether you want to update that field on all the files with whatever you have entered when you hit "Save."  When you update a field, they are selected by default.

For example, if you were to enter a title here, the box would become checked and all the selected files would be updated with that same title. Same for all the fields.

hiccup

Second: In the "Edit" window for several titles there is an activation check for all entries. What is the function of the check?

Perhaps I am missing something, but I regard them solely as an indicator/reminder that you have selected multiple files.
I am not aware checking or unchecking them makes any difference.
The tag editor will always edit all and only the files you have selected?

(I vaguely recall a purpose regarding artwork?)

rkauke

you're right, there is no difference between checking or unchecking, selected tracks all changed with checking and so with unchecking. Maybe it is really only for remebering....

hiccup

you're right, there is no difference between checking or unchecking, selected tracks all changed with checking and so with unchecking.

Maybe somebody else can point out a purpose for why you can check these boxes.
If not, it would probably be good to look at the purpose and the design of them for a next MusicBee release.

frankz

If you uncheck them after adjusting the tag, the tag there still gets updated when you hit save?  Not here.  Just tested.

Genre is Rock
Updated Genre tag to be Rock; Pop Rock
Moved out of field, box was ticked
Unticked box
Clicked Save
Genre still Rock

Same with splitting a composer and then closing the split screen and then unticking the box. Composer didn't get changed.

hiccup

If you uncheck them after adjusting the tag, the tag there still gets updated when you hit save?  Not here.  Just tested.

Do you mean that it could function as some 'undo' function when you have typed something, but then have second thoughts about having it saved to the tags?

Or have you found in some manner it does differentiate between selected files, and 'unselected' files.
(While I typed 'unselected', I wouldn't even know what 'unselected' files would pertain to in the Tag Editor)

frankz

When I select multiple files and go into the tag editor to edit the tags for those files, then I type in one of the fields, the color of the text I have just typed turns a different color to indicate that I've made a change and the box is checked to indicate that the change will be applied.

Then I decide I don't want to apply the change after all and deselect the box and hit save

Then I open the tag editor on the selected files again and verify that the change did not get saved

hiccup

When I select multiple files and go into the tag editor to edit the tags for those files, then I type in one of the fields, the color of the text I
Then I open the tag editor on the selected files again and verify that the change did not get saved

So you check the box yourself first?
Why?

And you would uncheck it when you have second thoughts about applying what you have just entered?

(if it indeed serves some 'undo' purpose, why would it only be available when multiple files are selected?)
Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:16:42 PM by hiccup

frankz

So you check the box yourself first?
Why?
No, the box gets checked automatically when you edit the tag.
And you would uncheck it when you have second thoughts about applying what you have just entered?
Because I've done edits to other tags on the files at the same time that I do want to save, but I don't want to save that specific edit.
(if it indeed serves some 'undo' purpose, why would it only be available when multiple files are selected?)
That's above my pay grade.
Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:23:21 PM by frankz

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I agree with frankz on use of the checkbox - it get selected automatically when you make a change to multiple files. If you unselect it, the change isn't saved after all. Although I don't know why you'd still save it if you didn't want the change (unless maybe you'd made changes to other fields that you did want).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)