Author Topic: Android remote  (Read 94440 times)

BassT

Any news?
I would really like that!
Maybe an option so MusicBee can handle existing winamp plugins?

kelsos

I am currently working on a socket's based application along with a plugin for MB. It is work in progress atm and I have no idea when will it be ready.
At the moment it supports, toggling mute,shuffle,repeat (none/all) the slider in the picture is the volume. You can also pull the cover artwork of the current track along with info about the track playing. Other features implemented in the moment are the basic Play/Pause/Stop and go to Previous or next track.

Steven

• Administrator
i am really pleased you are doing this and the layout looks fantastic. I am sure many people will be interested in this plugin.
FYI, i made a change to the API so you can jump to a file in the now playing list - see the main API topic

Nixander

So great what you are doing... im dreaming about sitting in my living room and controling may music with my smart phone :) the only rason i still use itunes is because there are some itunes adroid remote plugins :)

Maleko12

Thanks kelsos for working on this! That layout looks really great (although I'm unclear about the House symbol and the "Home" wording...). Already excited for this remote.

kelsos

Well I am working on the layout and the theme of the remote, some things will change. I am working on a few things atm. For example I try to make the application theme similar to the honeycomb theme of MusicBee. I will also probably change the icons skin too. One more feature that works atm is the ability to view the Now Playing list on the app (second icon) and jump on the select track (thanks to Steven for making the changes in the API to get this working).

Maleko12

Sounds like this will be an ace app! One question: What Android version(s) will this support?

phred

• Global Moderator
I want to jump on the bandwagon here and thank you, kelsos, for undertaking this project.  When the time comes to have some other eyes look at it from a performance/bug standpoint, just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to test it for you/us.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Maleko12

When the time comes to have some other eyes look at it from a performance/bug standpoint, just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to test it for you/us.

I'll join in as well!

kelsos

The client is build with flex/actionscript and it depends on Adobe AIR for mobile. I guess whatever device can run AIR will be viable. Checking on the net it seems to be Android 2.2 Froyo. On the plus side the same application code can be packaged for iOS without any changes to the code, though I ll have to check what is needed to publish it on both Android Market and Apple App Store.

MasterP

hmm AIR... doesnt iOS have no flash?
and then on Android not every device has flash either and not everyone has this huge framework instealled. also it probably takes a lot more ressources than a native app.

Steven

• Administrator
i cant answer the questions about AIR but i will mention that i am doing a web-server plugin, and if i can find someone willing to do a html front-end then we can also have a browser based remote control for Android, iPhone and WinPhone

MasterP

kelsos

hmm AIR... doesnt iOS have no flash?
and then on Android not every device has flash either and not everyone has this huge framework instealled. also it probably takes a lot more ressources than a native app.
Even though AIR is flash based technology it is not the same as flash browser plugin. So iOS has no flash browser plugin but AIR works fine for iOS, you can check Adobe's website for more information.

I agree on devices with low space for the applications the AIR installation will be huge if it will have to be installed separately. However the Adobe AIR 3 SDK has a new feature called Captive Runtime (I think it existed in the previous version only for iOS). This feature bundles the AIR runtime with the application, so that the user doesn't have to download-install it separately and I guess it will be smaller than installing the framework separately.

On the resources side I don't know how much is it supposed to use as a native application but during the profiling the current code base was using 6-7MB of memory max during the first test, still it is on alpha version and the code is not that optimized.

p-mob

VERY interesting project.
That is one thing, that is missing in MusicBee and would make a great addition!
MusicBee ROCKS!