Author Topic: Skip Over Song  (Read 6341 times)

neRok

This is a MusicBee plugin to skip all or some of a song when it is played during shuffle.

When the plugin is active, it checks each music file that is to be played for a specific tag (SKIP_OVER_SONG). Depending on the value of the tag, the plugin will skip some or all of the song.

More info: https://github.com/neRok00/mb_SkipOverSong

poum

Hello,
Is there a way (an extension or a function I would have missed) to randomly play the titles of a playlist by playing each song only once?
(maybe by marking or excluding each track from the playlist after it is played)

I listen to my music in random mode (about 40k tracks) and many songs are played several times while others are not.

Thank you

poum

I may have posted too quickly before looking...

I think the "SkipOverSong" plugin does exactly what I'm looking for.
I'll see if the configuration is simple enough for me... ^^

poum

ok, plugin installed, but it will probably take me a while to know if it works.

In Tags(1) I created a custom tag named SKIP_OVER_SONG (position Custom1) to which I assigned the values "true, skip, yes, 1-4".
Then in the plugin configuration I pointed "Custom tag used" to "Custom1"
The Shuffle and AutoDJ boxes are both checked.

Am I right ? I have a doubt about the values assigned to the tag... (true, skip, yes, 1-4)

:)

neRok

The value can just be one of those things  ;D

This plugin will only help you skip over songs with the tag, but it won't add the tag. How are you adding it (you will want it to add automatically, after each song is played)? You will probably need another plugin for auto adding the tag.

But I foresee a problem, whereby eventually it will take forever for the program to find a song to play. Imagine 39,999 of the songs are set to SKIP, and there is only 1 song left to play. MusicBee will just keep randomly selecting songs, and most likely those will be songs to skip. It will take a long time to randomly hit the 1 song left. So this is not a good solution.

Really you want a playlist that deletes each song after it is played. That way only songs still to play are left in the list. I doubt there is a plugin for this though, and I'm not sure if MB even has the API features to enable this by a plugin.

neRok

On a general note about this plugin, when I wrote it, I had only recently switched to MB from Winamp. I used to right click > play folders with Winamp, and initially did that with MB too, which is why this plugin was helpful. But now I have discovered the power of auto playlists, and they can be setup to filter by tags, so now I have a shuffle a playlist with rule "SKIP_OVER_SONG is empty", and I get basically the same effect.

The skip section of song part of this plugin could still be useful, but skipping the end of a song is often more important for me (like when the last track on an album has a 3min song, then 10min silence, then a 3min bonus song). At the time I wrote this plugin, a MB couldn't do that, and I haven't looked to see if MB API has enable that since.

poum

Quote from: neRok
The value can just be one of those things  ;D
ok ::)

Quote from: neRok
you want a playlist that deletes each song after it is played. That way only songs still to play are left in the list.
Exactly, and I'm surprised that it doesn't even exist. I felt this was so useful that I thought I had missed it, not that it wasn't available.
That said, even though I have only used Musicbee for a few years now, I have never seen this function offered by another player (winamp/wmplayer/foobar...) ; So maybe I'm the only one who needs it

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

voodoopunk

Hi poum,

You can create an auto playlist with the rule Play count is 0, then when you right click on said playlist and select "Play Shuffled" it will do so and as each song is played it will be removed from the playlist.

Nice and simple, obviously this is of no use to you if you're concerned with your play counts.

poum

Quote from: voodoopunk
You can create an auto playlist with the rule Play count is 0, then when you right click on said playlist and select "Play Shuffled"

I don't care about the number of plays, so I reset them to zero and then did what you suggest, which is to create an automatic playlist of all the tracks with the rule "play count/is/0" and shuffle them.
Now I understand better why neRok was talking about the "power of auto playlists".

That said, does it make a real difference with the handling :
All tracks in a playlist, shuffle the playlist and play the tracks in the resulting order?
I feel like I've drowned in a glass of water by trying to use shuffle...

Thanks a lot for your intervention !