Author Topic: Tagging with MP3Tag  (Read 2592 times)

wberesford

I am about to start tagging my music library, 1,520 tracks using MP3Tag. Will MusicBee automatically see changes made to track metadata, or will I need to rescan my library? For information, file names will change too. Many thanks in advance.

frankz

You will need to rescan the library to pick up tag changes.

If you rename the files outside of MB you will likely have to recreate your library because MB won't know which files are which. It's a really bad idea to do this.

sveakul

If MB is set to continuously monitor the folder of the files in question, it will pick up the tag changes on the fly. or on startup if that option is selected, or manually via Rescan Files.  However, changing the filenames with an application outside of MB will NOT be picked up.  Filenames need to be changed within/by MB itself for them to be changed in the library itself, or else they are treated as entirely new files and pre-name change ones will still show up, as "Missing".  Yes those "missing" entries can be removed with the "Compress Library" function (Tools/Advanced), but..

If you are going to do a whole editing job on all your files as you describe, the best solution might be to first do all your Mp3Tag work outside of MB, then have MB create a whole new library based on the results, deleting the old library afterwards.

frankz beat me to it but take this as a +1 to what he said.

wberesford

Thank you both for the clear explanations, very much appreciated. I will follow your advice and do the tagging, and re-naming outside of MB. Is the process of the creating a new library afterwards, straightforward? Thank you again.

The Incredible Boom Boom

Thank you both for the clear explanations, very much appreciated. I will follow your advice and do the tagging, and re-naming outside of MB. Is the process of the creating a new library afterwards, straightforward? Thank you again.
w
If you have MB set to continuously monitor your files, you can edit tags in mp3tag and MB will pick them up fairly quickly. If you care about play counts and last played information, you should only use MB to rename files and folders, though. If not and you use the Inbox feature of MB (highly recommended)... you can also rename tags in mp3tag.