Author Topic: Make the "Comment" tag similar to other tags in the Tag Editor  (Read 1794 times)

wasp

The "comments" tag:

Have an auto-completion drop down menu for previously used comments, similar to other tag fields of the MB editor (such as the Mood, Publisher etc). This is very useful developing your own code system (this is especially useful for DJs).

Please see here:

https://djtechtools.com/2016/08/15/breaking-the-code-coding-system-for-your-library/

https://djtechtools.com/2019/12/09/tagging-tracks-eans-organizational-system-for-his-dj-library/

phred

• Global Moderator
As long as this doesn't interfere with those of us who use the Comments section for actual comments, I'm okay with it. But I often have comments very long comments and I have a feeling that auto-complete would cause problems. I wouldn't want that much data put into the auto-complete cache, especially since I have hundreds (if not thousands) of tracks with long comments.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wasp

An alternative would be something like the Mood tag where you get an actual drop down menu, with values and checkboxes (though in the Mood tag it is not possible to customize the values)

However, if this can be implemented, the wish is generally for the comments section to have an auto complete function to speed up typing and entering (previously entered) comments.

frankz

For me, the Comment tag is the one that is supposed to be free-form and individual.  Having a giant list of hundreds or thousands of previous comments load every time I start typing is the antithesis of this.

Looking at the first link, a field like Genre or Occasion would be a perfect fit for what you're trying to do. 

wasp

Perhaps the auto-completion can be optional in the preferences? I already use the Genre section for Genres.  The occasion field is not a cross compatible tag field and will encounter a problem afterwards displaying it in other programs i.e. in DJ applications.

hiccup

Personally, I think this has very little chance of getting implemented.
(but who knows...)

But on a more positive note I thought to hint at a possible solution for your user-case.
As others suggested also, you could use a tag such as 'mood' or 'occasion'.
You could edit MusicBee's Configuration.xml to have it contain all possible strings (words) you require and want to have available.
Then it's easy to select them and add them as a tag in MusicBee.
But they won't be in your comment tag.
To make that happen you could use the Additional tagging Tools plugin so it will update the comment tag with what is in the mood/occasion tag.

Just a thought.

phred

• Global Moderator
Personally, I think this has very little chance of getting implemented.
Personally, I sure hope it doesn't. It would defeat the whole purpose of a free-form comment tag.
Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:34:45 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

wasp

Occasion as I mentioned above in not cross compatible with other applications.  Using the mood tag can be a good alternative. I did try to edit the Mood drop down menu fields (before I created this thread)  but I was unsuccessful in doing so. 

What I've tried:

- Editing the configuration.xml - Mood fields did not change.
- editing the Musicbee.ini - Mood fields did not change
- editing the Musicbee.bak - Mood fields did not change.

Is there any other file that possible needs to be edited to make it work?

hiccup

What I've tried:
- Editing the configuration.xml - Mood fields did not change.

This should definitely work. You must be doing something wrong?

Occasion as I mentioned above in not cross compatible with other applications.

Did you read what I wrote about the Additional Tagging Tool plugin?

wasp

Yes, I've seen it. Thank you for the recommendation for the Additional tagging Tools plugin!