Author Topic: Beat Bar Metallic  (Read 5279 times)

Clarence

A metallic variant of the original Beat Bar skin.

Light and Dark Theme
Four player finishes
Red or Blue accent colours for either theme.

Beat Bar Metallic

DOWNLOADS:

[Updated: 22 April 2020] To eliminate potential 'clash' of rating stars and track position (timer) on high resolution screens over 1920x1080 pixels.

Brushed Aluminium:
Dark Theme/Blue
Dark Theme/Red
Light Theme/Blue
Light Theme/Red

Machined Steel:
Dark Theme/Blue
Dark Theme/Red
Light Theme/Blue
Light Theme/Red

Platinum:
Dark Theme/Blue
Dark Theme/Red
Light Theme/Blue
Light Theme/Red

Silver:
Dark Theme/Blue
Dark Theme/Red
Light Theme/Blue
Light Theme/Red

I hope you enjoy the skins.

Skins in the Beat Bar Series:
Beat Bar Original (Black/White)
Beat Bar Metallic
Beat Bar Colours
Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:18:49 PM by Clarence

Coogan

Hi there Clarence.  Still using your skins and as always they are fantastic.

I was wondering, is there anyway to make the scroll bars stand out?  Perhaps outline them with the selected accent colors.
For example, I'm using Platinum Dark Skin-Red at the moment.  So if the scroll bars were outlined in red or colored red, they'd
be a lot easier to locate.

Here is an image to depicting what I'm trying to say..

Notice I'm using a custom background.  Everything else looks great, but the scroll bars completly disappear.

Thanks for your time.

Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

Clarence

Hi there Clarence.  Still using your skins and as always they are fantastic.

I was wondering, is there anyway to make the scroll bars stand out?  

Coogan, nice to hear from you.

The problem, as you rightly say is that you're using a custom background and that has the effect of throwing a 'mask' over the panels and darker colours come off worse, hence dark scroll bars fade into the background.

Cure? Make brightly coloured scrollbars as you say.

Problem? Not everybody likes them (including me) and they can spoil the aesthetic of a skin.

Solution?  (And I know I'm going to kick myself for this...)  Create a piggy-back file to override the colours so that they stand out more.

Problem #2?  I hate piggy-back skins in the wrong hands.  My God, I've seen some colour abominations done over the years.

However, for a repeat customer like your good self, here's something that should meet your needs. I suggest you copy the code to a text document so that you can modify it to use again for a different colour e.g. if you use the Dark/Blue variant of this skin:

Code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Document Name: Patch For - ScrollBar Colour/Custom Base Acvive    -->
<!-- Clarence   -->

<root dependsOn="BeatBar-MetPlatinum_Dark_Red.xmlc">

<variables>
SBar =  "218,13,13"
Base = "19,19,19"
Outline = "255,0,0"
</variables>

<colours id="Default">
<element id="Panel.ScrollBar.Default" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />
<element id="Panel.ScrollBarBase.Default" bg="Base" bg2="Base" />
<element id="Panel.ScrollBar.Lowlight" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />

<element id="FilterPanel.ScrollBar" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />
   <element id="FilterPanel.ScrollBarBase" bg="Base" bg2="Base" />
   <element id="FilterPanel.ScrollBar.Lowlight" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />

<element id="NowPlayingList.ScrollBar" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />
<element id="NowPlayingList.ScrollBarBase" bg="Base" bg2="Base" />
<element id="NowPlayingList.ScrollBar.Lowlight" bg="SBar" bg2="SBar" bdr="Outline" />
</colours>

</root>  

Save the text file as something like BB_Met_PlatinumDarkRed_BackgroundOn.xml and put it in the same folder/location as the BeatBar's  .xmlc file.

If you have your custom background on, select the .xml file and you'll get red scrollbars visible through the background.
If you don't have your custom background on, select the .xmlc file and you will get the original skin in all it's beauty without the ugly red scrollbars...but it's horses for courses.

If you want to change the scrollbar colours for the blue variant, just change the three lines of code in the <variables> section to:

SBar =  "32,166,208"
Base = "19,19,19"
Outline = "39,205,55"

then change the skin filename in the <root dependsOn="xxxxxxx.xxx"> section. Just change the filename (including the .xmlc extension) for that of the skin you want to override and leave the rest of that line unchanged. Then save the document as whetever.xml

Hope this is what you wanted, and to get you started quickly, here's a link to the red version (above) to download: BB_Met_PlatinumDarkRed_BackgroundOn.xml

Now...as someone who likes to accommodate a big player font (as we can all see from your screenshot), in your opinion how big is acceptable for the overall height of a player before it encroaches too much on the rest of the skin. The height of the Platinum player? One and a half times that or twice the size of that platinum player?  I've been toying with an idea for a while and I'd be interested in opinions. And yes...I know in your case it would need to be dark, and ideally have purple in it somewhere  ;)

Stay safe and lucky Coogan...
Clarence
Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 11:48:15 AM by Clarence

Coogan

Thank you Clarence for taking the time and effort to respond.

I agree, I wouldn't want the scroll bars completly red, but if there was a way to just make the outline of the bars brighter would
be great.  
I'll try the .xmlc file and see how that goes.  Thank you very much for that.

As far as the overall height of the player, I'd imagine one and a half times would look really good.  Of course, I'll leave that in the
hands of a master.   ;)

Hope you keep up the fantastic work.

Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

Coogan

Just a quick update Clarence.  I think the red bars look great with this custom background.  They're not overpowering at all.
I'll keep both version, in case I just use the default background.

Thank you again.

Coogan
My MusicBee Version:

Clarence

Thank you Clarence for taking the time and effort to respond.

Just a quick update Clarence.  I think the red bars look great with this custom background.
Thank you again.

You are very welcome, Coogan and I'm glad you like them. I'll always try and help out if I can.

And... Thanks for your input on player size. I appreciate it. Now all I've got to do is find that 'master' you mentioned.  :-\

Clarence

Clarence

Following a report of a potential clash of rating stars and track position (timer) on high resolution screens, an update has been applied to eliminate the risk of this.

This conflict only appears to affect higher resolution screens over 1920x1080 pixels.

The initial post in this thread has been updated and all download links point to amended files.

Clarence

Hey, Coogan

After looking at that skin yesterday, with your dark custom background, it got me thinking (which always worries Mrs. Clarence)...

You sure like your dark skins, and you clearly like red. But something didn't sit right. That Platinum player may well have a red accent (because I want to try and cater for most people), but it just didn't look right with the rest of the skin. Especially if you're going to use those damned red overlay scrollbars.

Anyway...I got the paints out today and had a play to see if I could make something that might work better, and came up with a metallic effect I'll call 'Ruby' for now. Added a touch of shiny gloss too...

What do you think?

If you like it, it's yours...

Here's a link for the skin :BeatBar-MetRuby_Dark_Red.xmlc

And here's a link to a new overlay file that points to this skin when you have the custom background on: BB_Met_RubyDarkRed_BackgroundOn.xml

I'll leave the file up for a couple of days. Might even add it as a new one...you never know.

Enjoy.

Clarence
Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:52:39 AM by Clarence

Coogan

Yes!!  
The Ruby skin looks fantastic!

I really like the Platinum player too, but something didn't seem quite right.  You nailed it.  I love this Ruby player.  It's so shiny.  :)
I hope you add this skin to your mix.
Thank you buddy for taking the time to hook up an average Joe.

Coogan

My MusicBee Version:

Clarence

Yes!!  
The Ruby skin looks fantastic!

Glad it ticks all the boxes.

Thank you buddy for taking the time to hook up an average Joe.

When someone's helpful, polite and always says "thank you", it's always a pleasure Coogan, never a chore.

Stay safe

Clarence.