Author Topic: LastFM options regarding play count sync  (Read 4294 times)

nando666

I have just checked some issues I've been having with the play count sync, like some tracks getting way less plays than what Last FM was reporting, and happen to notice the reason is MusicBee is syncing matching the album name, messing with the numbers because some of the scrobbles were done from misstagged tracks. To put it simple:

-My Last.FM account reads 120 plays for Rush - Tom Sawyer
-My MusicBee shows only 20 plays for the same track
-Doing a simple API request by Artist / Title / Username I'm able to get the 120 plays for Rush
-Doing another API request including also the album name (Moving Pictures) I get just 20 plays

The real reason is among my 120 scrobbles theres 20 done with the correct album name, and 100 with the album name "Moving Pictures (Remastered 2011)". My question is: Can we an update to MusicBee where we are able to configure how is the play count sync matching tracks? The bold text over this lines should give more accurate play counts.

I don't know if this is the correct board to post it as is a feature request. I'd also be willing to code it myself.

frankz

I want to know how many plays I have for each file (i.e. different versions of songs).  "Live and Let Die" from Wings Over America is much different than "Live and Let Die" from the Soundtrack to the movie for example.  There are countless examples without even getting into remixed versions or remastered versions, etc.

The solution is to tag your files properly.  MB shouldn't have to account for "mistagged tracks."

nando666

Trust me, the problem is not in my library. But over the years I've used a series of services, and I'm not limiting myself to my flawless FLAC library nor my vinyl collection. The Rush example is actually a real example from Spotify.

Also, adding two checkboxes or the ability to customize the way the sync is done hurts no one.

Im not talking about changing the behavior but adding options.

phred

• Global Moderator
I moved your post to the Wishlist for possible consideration.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

Trust me, the problem is not in my library. But over the years I've used a series of services, and I'm not limiting myself to my flawless FLAC library nor my vinyl collection. The Rush example is actually a real example from Spotify.

Also, adding two checkboxes or the ability to customize the way the sync is done hurts no one.

OK, and I'm saying that IMO a bunch of phantom plays in the library because a user ticked those options without thinking through the possible unintended consequences is a worse outcome for the end user than missing a few plays from unsupported third-party sites like Spotify.

The behavior exists here to mimic last.fm's behavior and also the experience of iTunes, etc, which is to track each time you listen to a specific track on a specific version of a specific album either on mobile or on the desktop.  If you click any scrobble in last.fm, that's what you get, and that's what gets brought back into MB.

The intent is not to keep track of how many times you've heard a song in any context in your lifetime.  Luckily, the last.fm API gives you the ability to do that as you've discovered, but that's not the behavior people expect from their library software.

Not trying to be overly argumentative, but I do feel this would be a damaging change that goes against expected behavior and conventions across multiple library managers. IMO, as always.
Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:26:09 PM by frankz

nando666

OK, and I'm saying that IMO a bunch of phantom plays in the library because a user ticked those options without thinking through the possible unintended consequences is a worse outcome for the end user than missing a few plays from unsupported third-party sites like Spotify.

The behavior exists here to mimic last.fm's behavior and also the experience of iTunes, etc, which is to track each time you listen to a specific track on a specific version of a specific album either on mobile or on the desktop.  If you click any scrobble in last.fm, that's what you get, and that's what gets brought back into MB.

The intent is not to keep track of how many times you've heard a song in any context in your lifetime.  Luckily, the last.fm API gives you the ability to do that as you've discovered, but that's not the behavior people expect from their library software.

Not trying to be overly argumentative, but I do feel this would be a damaging change that goes against expected behavior and conventions across multiple library managers. IMO, as always.

Not trying to overly discuss this, but how is adding one option (i.e. optional setting)  damaging anything, and how is getting an account of 20 plays vs 120 plays more accurate?

PS, I've been scrobbling 99% of the music I listen since before MusicBee existed, even in my offline portable players via plugins (Rockbox is your friend).

I think its important to have a good organized library, but I also think scrobbling your tracks is a fun way to analyze what you listen and what are your real favourite tracks.

Tinidazone

I think I have the same issue with Music bee ( I tried to read the previous comment seems jargon to me).

I use BlackPlayer + Pano scrobble on Android. and MusicBee on PC. I scrobble from the Android when I am on the go. and when I get back to the PC I tried to sycn MusicBee with LastFM and the In accurate scribbles are as folows

I wear shades 😎 cuz you're just too bright 🔆

Haakjvork

Is there any update on this? I ran into the same issue. Nowadays a lot of tracks are released before the album as singles. I would love to carry the track count from the single to the album (which is exactly what LastFm does)

morgan109

This is also my biggest gripe with musicbee at the moment.
When I find a track I like in a compilation, I rate it. Then later, I may find the same track in an album of that artist, the rating doesn't follow but that's ok, it's easy to re-rate it.
The play count thing though is hella annoying as last.fm merge the two tracks play count but musicbee does not; play count is 1 for the new track.

This messes up all my auto play lists as well (and using the old track is bad 'cause they usually lack information like year etc.)

frankz

When I find a track I like in a compilation, I rate it. Then later, I may find the same track in an album of that artist, the rating doesn't follow but that's ok, it's easy to re-rate it.
The play count thing though is hella annoying as last.fm merge the two tracks play count but musicbee does not; play count is 1 for the new track.

This messes up all my auto play lists as well (and using the old track is bad 'cause they usually lack information like year etc.)
This has been addressed with a plug-in if the issue is important to you.

morgan109

This has been addressed with a plug-in if the issue is important to you.

Great, thanks. Yeah it's pretty important to me, discovering new music is pretty much compilation-only for me.