Author Topic: Navigation on a touchscreen laptop?  (Read 752 times)

GaryLC

Greetings ya'all- I am a life coach working with a developmentally disabled man who enjoys doing mobile dj gigs for friends and a number of local agencies who serve those with disabilities.  As his life coach I am working on viable options for finding a replacement system, since his old system of used twin-CD players is needing to be retired.

I've done some research and really like what I see with MusicBee, so I joined this form and am planning to convert my own music library to it.  However my immediate need in helping my friend.  He has a VERY difficult time reading and navigating through the conventional computer using a mouse or touchpad and myriad file tabs.  

Until now he relies entirely on the seeing a CD cover and then remembering what cuts are the one he likes to play. He literally lugs nearly 60 lbs of CD's held in over 7 softshell cases to his gigs.  

I want to suggest we get him a large laptop with a touch screen that could both store and catalog his music in an intuitive graphical manner that would allow him to visually look through his music library and then simply drag them into a playlist player.  How well would MusicBee perform on a touchscreen?  Any advice or suggestions?  

If you care to see what he's doing, this is the website I'm helping him develop so you can get a sense of what we're doing...  www.DJMannyJones.wixsite.com/manny

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

thanks in advance for your consideration and time in responding.

Gary

hiccup

Welcome to the forum GaryLC (and Manny)

MusicBee is a highly advanced music player/manager.
So if your friend has (as you said) difficulties reading and navigating through a conventional computer using a mouse and keyboard, setting up and using MusicBee's advanced features is not going to be fun for him.

But, if you are the person that will be doing all the importing, tweaking and adjusting, and setting everything up for him, it should be very doable to create some views and display interfaces that are not to hard to navigate through using a touchscreen.

You could choose larger fonts, album covers display, prepare playlists with icons, etc, and activate a 'party' mode (called Locked Down mode) so the chances of disasters happening during the show are reduced.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There are also some skins available that are intended for use with touch screens: larger control buttons and so on.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)