Author Topic: Fix: Distorted graphics on Windows10  (Read 5917 times)

fred

If you select any of the Beatz One series of skins by Clarence the player should look like this:

But if you have a high resolution monitor and the display scaling is set to 125% as below (this was the out-of-box Windows setting)

and you load the skin this is what it looks like:

The speakers are distorted and the buttons have shifted.
There are 2 ways to fix this problem. The first is to set the scaling to 100% and reload the skin. However the drawback to this is that the screen characters were so small that it was impossible to use. You could if you are so minded faff about changing font sizes so they become usable - it took me a day to do this.
The second way to resolve the problem is to right-click on MusicBee.exe select Properties -> Compatibility and make the changes to match the screenshot below:

Be aware that if you update MusicBee this change has to done again.

Clarence

Thanks for the time and effort I know you put in trying find a solution to this problem, fred. This appears to work with any skin with a high density of graphics in the player. Despite the usual statements regarding fixed height, etc being in the skin file, the graphics distort over 100% scaling.

And as a point of reassurance, overcoming +100% scaling this way only affects MusicBee and has no detrimental effect on other programs/applications.

Cheers fred!

hiccup

Just out of curiosity fred and Clarence,

I have created a rather pixel-complicated skin in the past:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17159.0

I must admit I never bothered to consider scaling, adding vector graphics, 150% images, etc. much.

Since the both of you seem to be putting effort in getting this right, could you take a look at 'Zen Hive'?

Is it a train-wreck at non-standard display resolution settings?

Clarence

Over to you fred...give it an outing on your huge iMax screen?

I have a similar situation hiccup as I was blissfully unaware of the problem as my display resolution doesn't go that high but when I borrowed a monitor to test it his fix certainly works.

hiccup

I have a similar situation hiccup as I was blissfully unaware

Well, I like to believe those wordings don't apply to my situation ;-)

I was aware of upscaling for 'hi-res' displays and it possibly resulting in some loss of image sharpness of icons and other details.
But since for as far as I can recall nobody ever complained about it, I chose not to put any work or effort into it.

But since with your skins there now are actual problems reported, I was curious if I may need to re-evaluate, and possibly do some work on some skins of mine too.
But maybe it's better to leave sleeping dogs lie...

fred

On my monitor this is what Zen Hive looks like at 100%, 125% and 200% scaling (at 200% scaling it looks told VGA in the "good old" days of low resolution ....

The good news - there is no distortion visible to my eyes (cautionary: I'm 70+ old and have worn glasses for 67 years and my right eye is considerably weaker then my left

When I first started using MusicBee I downloaded nearly all the skins available and tried them all. This skin was one I tried and then never used again. Why? I had a really high-end monitor with true colour certification because my wife's photos looked OK on her laptop but seemed dull when she had them printed. I don't know if it is apparent in the screenshots on your monitor but on mine the yellow text is right in your face especially so at 200% scaling (extrrme I know but you have to test corner cases). If it's OK by you I'll PM you with things that I don't want to put in the public domain yet that are germane to issues raised my comment (which is not, I emphasiize a criticism)

hiccup

Wow, thanks for trying it out so fast, and for the screenshots!

It's good to see there seems to be no apparent user-interface problems with the different scalings?
That's kind of a surprise and also a relief to me, since the design was quite complicated, and it needed some pixel-perfect adjustments to get it to work.

Feel free to comment or criticize the skin and/or the colours anyway you like. I'll gladly take it.
Tender souls should stay away from the internet anyway?  ;-)

Please do comment publicly in the Zen Hive thread, or by means of PM. Its all fine by me.

f.w.i.w.:
The computer monitor I had when I designed Zen Hive was not as good as the one I have now.
So maybe it is a good idea for me to re-evaluate colours/brightness using my current display.
Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:19:12 PM by hiccup