Author Topic: implement new translation platform  (Read 24592 times)

Xyzzy

I can imagine these powerful tools can be useful for complicated and multi-paged technical manuals and so-forts, but what would be the main benefits in using it for translating MusicBee's single xml language file?

If your goal is just to complete MB translation, I think you need just Notepad++ or something along this line.
However even at this size of the task, using a CAT tool can make your work smoother, easier, faster and better regarding the end result.

If you have experience with any CAT tool, it's a no-brainer to use it. Even small jobs are much easier with one.

So if one is not tech-savvy, there is really no need to delve into a new technology. Extra learning work would outweigh gains.
On the other side, if you want to learn something new, it's a good occasion.

By the way, any browser-based CAT tools, including some closed ones used by big companies you surely know, are crap compared to good, old-fashioned local apps. The more off-line, the better.

urfausto

thanks but no please. i already have to do the translation from the ground up since it is impossible to update the current one. i can only translate side to the english string without deleting anything.

I am only understanding 50% of what you are saying here, but if you really want to do it form the ground up, start with a 'clean' and recent English language file, mark all existing lines with an exclamation in front of them, and then add your Italian translation beneath each English line.
can you please explain this in detail with an example?

urfausto

for anyone interested in opentm2, here is the only link updated and working for the download: http://community.opentm2.org/display/GEN/OpenTM2+Installer

urfausto

3. In the displayed Markup Table List window, click rmb and select Import...
i don't see this at all

Xyzzy

i don't see this at all

Do you mean that right mouse button menu is not displayed? Works for me, version 1.6.1:

urfausto

i don't see this at all

Do you mean that right mouse button menu is not displayed? Works for me, version 1.6.1:

i am not understanding what i should do... i can right click on any of those items.

Xyzzy

i don't see this at all

i am not understanding what i should do... i can right click on any of those items.

Right - click any item and select Import.... Then browse to a TBX file (essentially a text file) where you saved the markup from my post.

urfausto

i don't see this at all

Right - click any item and select Import.... Then browse to a TBX file (essentially a text file) where you saved the markup from my post.

much thanks for your help, i successfully translated some strings but it's more difficult than what i thought, maybe i can success with the txt file only using notepad++. this would be just more straight and clean. i'm sure other many people would find your method the easiest though.

urfausto

thanks but no please. i already have to do the translation from the ground up since it is impossible to update the current one. i can only translate side to the english string without deleting anything.

I am only understanding 50% of what you are saying here, but if you really want to do it form the ground up, start with a 'clean' and recent English language file, mark all existing lines with an exclamation in front of them, and then add your Italian translation beneath each English line.
from the english file tutorial, it states: ! do not change the identifiers #xxx.xxx.xxx#

hiccup

from the english file tutorial, it states: ! do not change the identifiers #xxx.xxx.xxx#

The translated version of each line will need to have that unchanged identifier.

But the file should also not contain duplicate identifiers.

So you could do:

!#Main.field.3#      Filename
#Main.field.3#      Nome del file

The first line will be ignored because you prepended it (commented it out) with an exclamation mark.

urfausto

The translated version of each line will need to have that unchanged identifier.

But the file should also not contain duplicate identifiers.

So you could do:

!#Main.field.3#      Filename
#Main.field.3#      Nome del file

The first line will be ignored because you prepended it (commented it out) with an exclamation mark.

damn. ok thanks, i'm preparing a standard sheet for also all other translations, but it is quite hard to get the regex codes. only half way i am.