Author Topic: More search settings (abbreviation similarities or symbols treatment)  (Read 930 times)

SpirosG

Hi, is it possible to add the ability to set specific abbreviation like they are the same, for example "feat." "ft." etc, while searching?

Also, another nice addition would be symbols evasion, for example symbol like artist "-" title.

phred

• Global Moderator
Custom searches can use "all" or "any"  and "and" or "or" so you could set up the search with something like this:
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SpirosG

Custom searches can use "all" or "any"  and "and" or "or" so you could set up the search with something like this:

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I am aware of this. My mistake that i didn't specify that i was referring to the "normal" search.
The simplest way i can think of is to add an 'ignore text pattern' option.
Something similar to the picture below for example to ignore text patterns from searches.

hiccup

My personal estimation is that the chance of this getting implemented is very slim.

Wouldn't it be better (and simpler) to just make all variations of feat./ft. in your library uniform?
That should be easy to do with the Search & Replace function.

Or you could create a virtual tag that transforms all variations into one and the same version, and then use that tag to perform  these kind of searches on.

SpirosG

My personal estimation is that the chance of this getting implemented is very slim.

Wouldn't it be better (and simpler) to just make all variations of feat./ft. in your library uniform?
That should be easy to do with the Search & Replace function.

Or you could create a virtual tag that transforms all variations into one and the same version, and then use that tag to perform  these kind of searches on.

Hi, thank you for the answer and the suggestions.

The problem here isn't my Library or the tags. I use a specific type of abbreviation for featuring artists.
The problem is that when I copy values (artist - title) from different sources (sites) to search for tracks, they use different variations for this for example, and every time I have to correct any input that needs adjustments to have all the tracks shown.

phred

• Global Moderator
I agree with what hiccup said. This is such a small use case (only one person requesting) that I can't see Steven spending any time on it. Especially since there are other ways to do what you're looking for.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The problem is that when I copy values (artist - title) from different sources (sites) to search for tracks, they use different variations for this
Of course it's not up to me. It will depend on your wish getting support and/or Steven thinking it is useful to implement.

For the mean time, are you familiar with AutoHotkey?
I think what you want can be done with a AHK script.
And I believe Ditto (a clipboard manager) also has the option to manipulate the contents of the clipboard.

SpirosG

I agree with what hiccup said. This is such a small use case (only one person requesting) that I can't see Steven spending any time on it. Especially since there are other ways to do what you're looking for.

Yeah, i get it, it's a bit too niche.
Trying to save as much time as possible while i dig to new music and prepare my dj sets.

The problem is that when I copy values (artist - title) from different sources (sites) to search for tracks, they use different variations for this

Of course it's not up to me. It will depend on your wish getting support and/or Steven thinking it is useful to implement.

For the mean time, are you familiar with AutoHotkey?
I think what you want can be done with a AHK script.
And I believe Ditto (a clipboard manager) also has the option to manipulate the contents of the clipboard.

Totally get that. I mean i can live without this (not for too long  :D)
Thank you for the suggestions. I will take a look on them.  ;)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Yes, I am aware of this. My mistake that i didn't specify that i was referring to the "normal" search.
The simplest way i can think of is to add an 'ignore text pattern' option.
Something similar to the picture below for example to ignore text patterns from searches.

Simplest?

Won't you get the desired results with a search like this?

Code
title:feat. or ft. or [whatever]
Bee excellent to each other...

SpirosG

This script already exists in https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=39122.msg211390#msg211390

I've managed to create a script which does everything i needed it to.

This AutoHotkey 2 script is designed to replace certain characters in text when the middle mouse button is clicked if MusicBee is active.
When the middle mouse button is clicked, the script first selects all text in the search box by pressing the Ctrl + A, it then replaces certain characters or text strings, and finally the cleaned up text is then pasted into the search box.

You may need to change the coordinates on "Send "{Click..."

Code
#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0

#HotIf WinActive('ahk_exe MusicBee.exe')

MButton:: { ; Middle mouse button = Paste replaced text
 Send "{Click 1585 47}"
 Send "^{a}"
 Static replace := ['feat\.', 'ft\.', '&', '\R', ', ', ' - ', ' – ', ' — ', ' vs. ', ' Featuring ']
 txt := A_Clipboard
 txt := RegExReplace(txt, "\([^()]*\)", "")  ; Remove text within parentheses
 For each, item in replace
 txt := StrReplace(txt, item, ' ')
 SendText Trim(RegExReplace(txt, '\h+', ' '))
Return
}
#HotIf
Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 12:32:43 AM by SpirosG