Author Topic: Attaching Playlist Pictures to Playlist Folders  (Read 1494 times)

DarcelleJones

Hi all,

As so many have exclaimed before me, I discovered MB a few months ago and am in love.

I have have searched the existing posts but cannot seem to find an answer to this question (or bug?).

I have a lot of playlists. Bc I am/was a huge 8tracks.com user, I have far more playlists than albums. So playlist organization is very important for me. I love the ability to attach artwork to playlists. No issue there.

There is an option to attach artwork to playlist folders. That is, in the playlist explorer when I select a folder in which I have multiple playlists (or other playlist folders and playlists), it shows the artwork for the first track in the first playlist by default. It gives me the option to "Choose Playlist Picture" just like it does when I right click on the header for a normal playlist. I choose the artwork, and it displays. *Awesome.*

However, when I reset MusicBee, it does not retain the artwork I selected for the playlist folder. Rather, it revers to the artwork embedded in the first track of the first playlist. I have played with Preferences > Tags 1 as described in other posts, but if I'm not mistaken this setting applies to tracks rather than playlists.

When I "Choose Playlist Picture" for a folder, MB saves the artwork as a .jpg file in the playlist folder the same way it does for artwork that's attached to a playlist, except it saves the artwork as ".jpg" rather than "#foldername#.jpg". I tried changing the filename to "#foldername#.jpg", but this was ineffective.

I figure there is probably an easy fix/workaround for this, but I can't seem to figure it out and would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

And thanks for your patience if this has already been answered. There are so many posts that include the term folder.jpg, it may be that I couldn't find the answer due to all the noise.

Steven

• Administrator
i think its a bug so i will look to fix it

edit:
this should fix it:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files
Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:24:29 AM by Steven

Roby

I have had the same problem in the past. I solved it by manually assigning the same name to the graphic to the playlist. (Playlistname.jpg)

DarcelleJones

edit:
this should fix it:

Upon initial testing, your fix appears to have solved the problem. No side effects as far as I can tell—I'll reply if I encounter any snags.

Thank you for replying so quickly, for addressing the bug, and for the incredible work you do.

DarcelleJones

Quick update:

This is just an FYI for Steven's benefit and the benefit of others who may stumble across this post:

The fix to folder artwork appears stable, but there is a caveat: the artwork you choose must be in .jpg format (or at least, .png files do not register when trying to "Choose Playlist Picture" for playlist folders). This is in contrast to whatever process allows you to successfully associate a .png file with an .mbp playlist.

You'll need to convert your .png's to .jpg's before MB will allow you to associate them with playlist folders. An easy workaround.

Thanks again Steven!

Steven

• Administrator
The fix to folder artwork appears stable, but there is a caveat: the artwork you choose must be in .jpg format (or at least, .png files do not register when trying to "Choose Playlist Picture" for playlist folders). This is in contrast to whatever process allows you to successfully associate a .png file with an .mbp playlist.

You'll need to convert your .png's to .jpg's before MB will allow you to associate them with playlist folders. An easy workaround.
.png will work in the next update

edit:
Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:51:31 AM by Steven

DarcelleJones