Author Topic: New album not added in library in monitored folders + editing album tag issue  (Read 3029 times)

darkred

Using MusicBee 3.3.7367 in windows 10 x64.

I've noticed the following two issues in all recent versions of MusicBee:

I have set in Edit|Edit Preferences|Library
in 'monitored' folders group to 'continuously monitor'
and 'new file action' --> "add to library'
and I have added (via "Choose Folders") 3 folders in drive E:\ with lots of subfolders .
All above audio files are recognized ok.

The issue is that, if I move (via e.g. File Explorer) any folder containing audio file inside any of the above 3 folders,
the files are not added automatically in library (there's no "Monitored folders: x files added" in the bottom left corner).
I have to manually press 'Insert' ("Scan folders for new files") for the new files to be added.

Let's say I have an album in two versions, e.g. the 1st is the initial, and the 2nd the remastered.
I keep each one in a separate folder, but in library they have the same "album" tag,
therefore they are displayed as one album in library:

(example tracklist):
01. Song_1     <-- 1st, the initial
1. Song_1       <-- 2st, the remastered
02. Song_2
2. Song_2
(etc)

If I open any of the two folders in a third-party editor, e.g. Mp3Tag
and change its album name make it different, e.g. add "(remastered)" to it
then, if I click away and reclick on the album entry in e.g. column browser
then all e.g. 20 files in both folders are displayed as 20 separate entries in the main panel (!),
pressing "Insert" to re"Scan folders for new files" doesn't help,
and I have to close and restart MusicBee in order the 2 albums to be displayed as 2 albums instead of 20 tracks, in main panel.

Here is a screen capture (5.6 MB) highlighting the issue:

If you'd like I could gladly upload my MusicBee settings.

Thank you

Steven

• Administrator

I have set in Edit|Edit Preferences|Library
in 'monitored' folders group to 'continuously monitor'
and 'new file action' --> "add to library'
and I have added (via "Choose Folders") 3 folders in drive E:\ with lots of subfolders .
All above audio files are recognized ok.

The issue is that, if I move (via e.g. File Explorer) any folder containing audio file inside any of the above 3 folders,
the files are not added automatically in library (there's no "Monitored folders: x files added" in the bottom left corner).
I have to manually press 'Insert' ("Scan folders for new files") for the new files to be added.
Unfortunately i cant reproduce this and I have no suggestions what the issue might be

darkred

I can't recreate that consistently, but It happens to me unfortunately very often.

What I think it occurs, is that the 'continuous folder monitoring' functionality randomly stops working (regarding the watching for new files)
and it works again only after closing+restarting MusicBee.
And I'm using the word "randomly", because it may occur that e.g. an added folder with mp3 not being recognized now,
but if I close+restart MusicBee, and then -as a test- move it away and re-move it (via File Explorer) to that same path, it will be recognized fine.

And, I haven't modified any MusicBee setting a long time now.

darkred

The 1st issue occurred once more, just now:
I moved a new folder with 9 mp3 inside a monitored folder
and changed their tags with Mp3Tag multiple times:
each time I was getting the Monitored folders: 9 files updated,
but I can't find the new files anywhere,
not via the search box, nor via manually looking in library explorer or column explorer.
Closing+restarting MusicBee fixed the issue.
Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:10:02 AM by darkred

Steven

• Administrator
The 1st issue occurred once more, just now:
I moved a new folder with 9 mp3 inside a monitored folder
and changed their tags with Mp3Tag multiple times:
each time I was getting the Monitored folders: 9 files updated,
but I can't find the new files anywhere,
not via the search box, nor via manually looking in library explorer or column explorer.
Closing+restarting MusicBee fixed the issue.
what i could do is give you a debug version but first, did you check the error log for any errors around the time you did this? (help/ support/ view error log)

darkred

what i could do is give you a debug version

Thank you

did you check the error log for any errors around the time you did this? (help/ support/ view error log)

Yes, and there are no errors related to the issue.

Steven

• Administrator
this version is just logging whether the events are captured

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8hny7dorhi1oe6g/MusicBeeDebugMonitor.zip/file
unzip and replace the existing musicbee.exe
perform the actions from your first post and info will be written to the error log (help/ support/ view error log) so i can see what is going on

darkred

Thank you.

Here: (I just added a new folder with mp3)

Code
30/3/2020 17:15:50 - monitor=E:\M E T A L\M P 3's  (Albums)\,continuous=True
30/3/2020 17:15:50 - watcher=E:\M E T A L\M P 3's  (Albums)\
30/3/2020 17:15:50 - monitor=E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\,continuous=True
30/3/2020 17:15:50 - watcher=E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\
30/3/2020 17:17:52 - change=Created:E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP),enabled=True
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\01 The Pendulum.mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\01 The Pendulum.mp3]
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\02 Snakes of Goliath (Unreleased Demo).mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\02 Snakes of Goliath (Unreleased Demo).mp3]
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\03 Sub Zero (Unreleased Demo).mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\03 Sub Zero (Unreleased Demo).mp3]
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\04 Aftershock (Unreleased Demo).mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\04 Aftershock (Unreleased Demo).mp3]
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\05 Porcelain Skull (Unreleased Demo).mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\05 Porcelain Skull (Unreleased Demo).mp3]
30/3/2020 17:17:54 - folder monitor Created: E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\06 The Cold Room (Unreleased Demo).mp3: Access is denied. [E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\Candlemass - 2020 - The Pendulum (EP)\06 The Cold Room (Unreleased Demo).mp3]

I tried multiple times, and the album doesn't get added.
There was no "Monitored folders: x files added" in the bottom left corner.
I also moved the folder in and out of the main monitored one via File Explorer several times , with always the same results.

After closing and restarting MusicBee,
there's was the  "Monitored folders: 6 files added", as expected,
and the album can be found in library alright.

Here are the only new entries in the error log after closing+restarting MusicBee:
Code
30/3/2020 17:25:04 - monitor=E:\M E T A L\M P 3's  (Albums)\,continuous=True
30/3/2020 17:25:04 - watcher=E:\M E T A L\M P 3's  (Albums)\
30/3/2020 17:25:04 - monitor=E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\,continuous=True
30/3/2020 17:25:04 - watcher=E:\MP3 VIDEOS  NEW\

Steven

• Administrator
any idea why access is denied by windows to the file? eg. try whitelisting musicbee in your security software

darkred

No, the security software has nothing to do with this. I had them in an archive, extracted them and the extracted files were read-only.
I can manually remove their read-only attribute e.g. via File Explorer.

Does this have to do with this issue?
I am asking, because, even keeping them as read-only,
if I either manually press 'Insert' ("Scan folders for new files"), or close+restart MusicBee,
the files will be added in library ok, even though they will remain read-only.

You are right: after removing their read-only attribute, then they are recognized ok. Thank you.
Could you please change it so that they can be recognized even if read-only?

By the way, I'd like please to ask you kindly to consider together my other feature request of two years ago:
to be able to remove the read-only attribute for all following selected files in library from inside MusicBee?

Also, the 2st issue from my OP still remains.
Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:35:13 PM by darkred

Steven

• Administrator
Yes there is an issue with read-only files with the continuous folder monitor.
This fixes the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

darkred

I confirm that issue is fixed with the new version. Thank you.

The 2nd issue still remains (it's not related to the 1st issue, the test files are not read-only) :

Let's say I have an album in two versions, e.g. the 1st is the initial, and the 2nd the remastered.
I keep each one in a separate folder, but in library they have the same "album" tag,
therefore they are displayed as one album in library:

(example tracklist):
01. Song_1     <-- 1st, the initial
1. Song_1       <-- 2st, the remastered
02. Song_2
2. Song_2
(etc)

If I open any of the two folders in a third-party editor, e.g. Mp3Tag
and change its album name make it different, e.g. add "(remastered)" to it
then, if I click away and reclick on the album entry in e.g. column browser
then all e.g. 20 files in both folders are displayed as 20 separate entries in the main panel (!),
pressing "Insert" to re"Scan folders for new files" doesn't help,
and I have to close and restart MusicBee in order the 2 albums to be displayed as 2 albums instead of 20 tracks, in main panel.

Here is a screen capture (5.6 MB) highlighting the issue.

darkred

The 2nd issue is fixed by pressing F5 (refresh).
( Thanks to hiccup for the tip here )