Author Topic: Radio support enhancements  (Read 14937 times)

VX

feel free to create a wishlist topic with the important things you think are missing.
i'm thinking -
1. support radiotime api for a directory service and any others i discover when i investigate;

2. support last.fm 'love' for the streams;

3. maybe as a lower priority have a folder heirachy

(I've added numbers to the original quote - VX)
I guess with implementing RadioTime API users gain another long awaited feature:

4. Recording support, and another request for that
It would be great if MB has an option to split recorded stream to separate songs.

Implementing request no. 2 would probably be what this user wants

5. Online streaming related improvements

6. Filter radio stations by chosen criteria .
I would like to see some more Categories in Radio Stations/Main Panel View for easy navigation and sorting (Country, Language, Network, Popularity). Favourites category is not needed because we have Rating instead.

7. Separate Radio section on the MB forum where users could ask a questions about and share the radio Playlists exported from MB just like we can share Skins.
I don't need about 15 000 radio stations from around the world that Tapin Radio has, but I do need a list of stations from my country, neighbourhood or of a specific genre (lets say rock, 80s, News etc) , which I could use as a "Playlist.xml and share. This request could also be partially implemented with RadioTime API integration I suppose.

8. Import selected radio stations presets.xml from third party apps

9. Search RadioSure online database and add the selected stations.

10. Integrate Jamendo Radios, which is supported with many music players (mostly for Linux, but there are players for Windows that support it too).
 http://www.jamendo.com/en/ - is not only a Radio Stations service, this is the site where you can listen to and download more than 300 000 tracks for free, it allows unlimited and legal sharing, so it's worth to support it.

11. Save the lyrics for the song that you are currently listen to as a TXT file with Artist-Title.txt filename pattern with one click only
(this would require to determine the default location for the files after first run though).
Currently this is also possible but the requested feature would require much less clicking than: Copy lyrics to the clipboard; Create a txt file; Paste the lyrics; Save it; Copy Artist and Title to Clipboard; Rename the file; Paste form clipboard; Save the file.

FEEL FREE TO UPDATE  the list in case I've missed something useful.

Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:33:44 PM by VX

Rotem K.

I'm for any improvement at the radio department. which feels kinda weak compered to the library and it's features.
To me recording is the most desired feature that's missing, but if I remember correctly there's some limitation on that with ShoutCast, so that's a shame.

Anyhow, and sorry for the hijack,
Am I the only one having troubles with the radio station's star rating ?
When I rate a station, the rating disappears and has lasting no effect.

If rating a station is simply not implemented yet, I'd love to see it implemented along side the suggestions by VX .

Steven

• Administrator
i've implemented some radio station directories in the Radio panel. However i have decided not to go ahead with using RadioTime as its not clear to me that it can be realistically used without getting a full (and paid for) license agreement.
The "love" a track from a last.fm stream was done in the last weekly update.
I'll look at the other requests tomorrow but i probably wont implement some of them until a future MB version

http://www.mediafire.com/?q8ald1a4stq66re

VX

Thank you very much for the enhancements  :) I've been testing the new features thoroughly ;-)
There is a little GUI glitch with 'Add to Library' button when a custom font higher than 9 pt is used:
- with some skins (Blue, GrooveBee, metrostyle, Smooth Grey-all variants; Asylum White; Basic and Platinum the button looks like:
- whereas with other skins it looks like:

I'd love to check how the 'Record' button looks with different skins as well  ;)

Thanks Steven. I'll write more as soon as I have a deeper look at the implemented Radio enhancements.

VX

AAC+ streams from Shoutcast and Soma FM don't work: 'Unable to open stream (error=BASS_ERROR_FILEFORM)'.
Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:48:23 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
you need bass_aac.dll
see http://getmusicbee.com/help.html
but i will look to make the error message more helpful

VX

you need bass_aac.dll
see http://getmusicbee.com/help.html
but i will look to make the error message more helpful
Yes, it works with the bass_acc.dll.

12. Is it possible the search box brings results from all the supported services at once  ???
Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:18:23 PM by VX

VX

Radio Stations works great with the latest enhancements. Thank you very much, Steven, for implementing the Station Directories:
Icecast, Shoutcast, Soma FM, Last.FM, OpenRadioDirectory and Presets !!! The last one is my favourite  8)

Everyone is invited to test the latest MB development build (the download link is in the one of above Steven's posts in this topic) and share your ideas, comments and wishes before the final release.

Here you go a nice screenshot with Station Directories in action:

Continuing the above wishlist, the question arises:

13. Is it possible to manually Edit and Update the build-in Presets list (or at least report broken stations to fix) ???

Steven

• Administrator
13. Is it possible to manually Edit and Update the build-in Presets list (or at least report broken stations to fix) ???
no!
The presets is simply using the presets that comes with TapinRadio. In your case, as you already have the app installed MB was able to automatically locate the file. For others, they would need to install TapinRadio. I am not going to distribute this file with MB

Steven

• Administrator
i do plan to add support for radio folders but it will need to wait to a later date
for now this includes:
- rating a station
- editing a category tag in the station properties (which can be displayed/sorted in the panel)
- removed openradiodirectory as its just a subset of icecast
- minor fixes to the radio station functionality

http://www.mediafire.com/?wae024bnt4h0nd5

VX

The GUI glitch with 'Add to Library' button is fixed - thanks  :)

I like that the ACC+ related error message is more informative than before:

It would be great if the link (http://getmusicbee.com/help.html# ) was active so that user could be automatically redirected to the website to download the missing bass_acc.dll file and move it to the MusicBee folder.

Thanks for the explanation  for the Presets and Tapin Radio.  :) I guess the MusicBee help file should be updated to cover the recent improvements  in various MusicBee section ???

Most of the above mentioned radio enhancements have already been implemented  :) THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
I think the one and only feature many users really would love to see is a support for recording, but I guess it's not easy to do, so maybe in one of the future releases  ???
What about Jamendo Radios  ??? I believe the service is free of charge.

I wonder if it is possible to add http://librivox.org/ to MusicBee Audio Books section just like the radio services are added to the Radio Stations section  ??? (This is already supported with Amarok for example).

Thank you once again  :)

BTW. New Station Directories look great with the new Gold skin by Sarge:

(I hope the skin will be reuploaded soon  :) )

Steven

• Administrator
i was considering jamendo but its not really a radio. Its just a playlist of songs or a list of artists and songs - and as the api they provide is implented as now i dont see how you can get the tracks from what they call radio.
You can browse jamendo using the musicbee browser and it will scan for music files when you browse artists and albums

edit:
thinking about it i might do something with jamendo like i did with last.fm
Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:48:52 PM by Steven

VX

Steven, thank you very much for all the improvements in the Radio support  :)

It would be great if the link http://getmusicbee.com/help.html was clickable and active just like the one in Help/ About MusicBee.

I noticed a minor bug and report it in this topic as the fix might be related to one of the suggested enhancements enlisted above (no. 11).
Steps to reproduce:

1. While listening to the Internet radio go to the Lyrics pane and when the lyrics is displayed for the playing track right-click on it and choose "Auto-Save";
2. Result: the lyrics is being continuously retrieved (this is the bug) until the Auto-Save option is unticked.

Similar bug could be reproduced when "Embed displayed lyrics into music file" is chosen for the playing radio track (it doesn't make sense for Radio tracks IMHO).

I suggest either to disable (or remove) the two options when a Radio track is played or implement the request described in no. 11 above.
Thanks for considering  :)

Steven

• Administrator
i wasnt able to reproduce the bug with setting auto-save on
however i did make a change, so could you try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6pob3nnthh13pnl

for anyone else interested, i've added jamendo to the auto-dj so you can include random tracks from a jamendo genre
also if you are playing a jamendo (or last.fm) station, on resuming MB it should resume the station automatically once you start the player (assuming you dont reset the now playing list first of course)
Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:14:59 PM by Steven

VX

I can't reproduce the bug with the latest version (1.2.4118). When I right-click the 'Auto-Save' or 'Embed displayed lyrics into music file' command while listening to the Radio it does nothing. The bug is gone, thanks  :)

However, in my opinion there should be an option to save the lyrics of currently playing radio song to the txt file with one click (see no. 11).