Author Topic: Remove empty folders when reorganizing  (Read 8690 times)

cuervo111

Hi.
I love the way MusicBee auto reorganize my folders for me. However, it keeps the old folders empty, or just with some text file or cover image, so my collection gets cluttered with empty folders. It would be great if MusicBee removed it, or at least give the option to do so easily.

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
if you have auto-organise on, it should already be automatically removing empty folders.
However if you use WMP, it puts hidden folder.jpg files in folders, so they arent actually empty even though it looks like it is. I do recall i put in some logic to delete that file if its the only one remaining but i cant recall if it is in 1.2.4037 or not. But another problem is sometimes its marked as a system file as well and it cant be deleted by MB unless you are running as an admin

Creaulx

• Steadfastly Analogue
I've also had the same problem, not from WMP which I don't use, but just within my Music directory itself.  I was originally using iTunes.  I've turned off the auto-organizing feature for this reason.

cuervo111

They're not hidden folders, and MusicBee is the only player I'm using right now.
I will take a look at this issue in the future and try to give you further feedback.
Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
its not hidden folders, its a hidden folder.jpg file inside the music folder.
An easy way to see is with windows explorer, if you temporarily turn on 'Show Hidden Files' and turn off 'Hide protected operating system files' you can see all files in a folder

cuervo111

Ok, I looked a bit more into it. I had a folder with mp3 files and a cover.jpg. After reorganizing, MusicBee left the original folder with the image in it. Maybe it wasn't linked to the songs (I don't know if that's important).
I hope this is useful feedback :)

Steven

• Administrator
i've done some tests. If the cover.jpg file is linked then it gets moved with the re-org and the old folder is deleted.
if its not linked, it doesnt get moved so remains in the old folder and hence the old folder is not deleted.
the way artwork gets linked is when new files are added to the library, any pictures that match the rules in Tags(1) artwork settings are automatically linked to music file. So if Cover.jpg is ticked, it will get linked (but thats for new files only).
Even when a picture is not linked, when playing a music file MB has some logic to auto-search for a picture, including cover.jpg so thats why you would see the picture when playing the music file.
I need to think about what changes i will make for this - what i will probably do is enhance the consistency checker that runs in the background on startup and automatically link any new artwork that matches the Tags(1) artwork settings.
Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:28:53 AM by Steven

cuervo111

More feedback! ;)
I have just added a new album without images or anything else on the folder, and MusicBee did not delete the folder. It also does not contain hidden files.

Steven

• Administrator
MB is only deleting folders that are already part of the library, so if you are adding new tracks it currently doesnt touch the folder that tracks were added from. I will change that for the next update
Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:52:24 AM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this includes the change

just unzip to where MB is installed
http://www.mediafire.com/?98dl35w8z5zyi6t
Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:27:22 AM by Steven