Author Topic: can't play songs in order from explorer  (Read 3200 times)

urfausto

for the life of me i can't make musicb to play songs in correct order from file browser. they do have tags though.

urfausto

i think i've found the core issue: playing songs from file manager will set songs not in track number tag but on filename. if tracks are numbered they are ordered, otherwise i don't how they get listed.

urfausto

however the track number in filename does not appear thereafter in the player view.

urfausto

anybody that can tell me what the hell is happening?!?!?!?!

hiccup

I am guessing you are not talking about why the streets are so empty?
(sorry, but your cry-out sounded a bit like that)

Perhaps you could post screenshots of what you are doing, and explain in some detail what is happening differently from what you are expecting to happen?

urfausto

I am guessing you are not talking about why the streets are so empty?
(sorry, but your cry-out sounded a bit like that)

Perhaps you could post screenshots of what you are doing, and explain in some detail what is happening differently from what you are expecting to happen?

yes thanks, i have some examples and i am relating to the playing tracks panel:

this album plays order as it is listed in file explorer not as track list order:

this album starts playing with correct track numbers order but shortly after shuffles the songs in random order:

this album starts with shuffled songs then skips randomly even if both filename and track number are correctly tagged:

this album which has correct track numbers tags plays randomly too:

what should i do? i can't find an explanation to these behaviours.

hiccup

Do you mean you just drag tracks from a Windows explorer folder into MusicBee's player panel to play them?

Then there will probably not be much logic in the order that these files are entered into MusicBee.
Windows will decide for you which files are entered first or last. And in doing that, it will not take names of files into account, and it will certainly not look at metadata such as track numbers.
It has no reason to do anything like that.

Perhaps MusicBee has some internal logic that will try to bring some order in files randomly loaded like this, I don't know about that.

phred

• Global Moderator
I wonder if the OP is confusing "#" with Track Number? Perhaps the Track Number tag is missing.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

I wonder if the OP is confusing "#" with Track Number?

That might also be the case, but the OP's original issue/confusion is related to the order of how Windows will copy files in general.

If you copy:
song 1 - band
song 2 - band
song 3 - band
they will (probably) end up in that order.

If you copy:
song 3 - band
song 1 - band
song 2 - band
they will (probably) end up in that order.

So the order is dictated by what you, and what Windows does. MusicBee plays no role here.

(somebody correct me if I am wrong)
Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:15:04 PM by hiccup

urfausto

Do you mean you just drag tracks from a Windows explorer folder into MusicBee's player panel to play them?
maybe this is the problem! i am using explorer file manager's buttons: play all, select files and play with musicbee.

but even using right-click upon files and folders and click play with musicbee the track number tag order is not kept and while it seems less problematic than other explorer's buttons, songs are played in file manager's order

urfausto

the track number tag for the shown example albums is currently like this (even if i don't want it like that it should have been put automatically that way by auto tagging):

hiccup

You seem to be missing the point of what I am trying to explain.

When you copy the files to MusicBee's playing panel in this way, it will line-up the tracks in the order that it gets them offered. MusicBee has no control over that.

You can very easily change the playing order to your liking after that.
(if you have your track number tagging in order, which I am not that sure of)

urfausto

You seem to be missing the point of what I am trying to explain.

When you copy the files to MusicBee's playing panel in this way, it will line-up the tracks in the order that it gets them offered. MusicBee has no control over that.

You can very easily change the playing order to your liking after that.
(if you have your track number tagging in order, which I am not that sure of)

ok so i can't get the correct order automatically. is there a way to reorder tracks afterwards if they are not in the library but only in the playlist?

urfausto

even ordering tracks in explorer won't change play order.

some tracks randomly picked without track number in filename will play in explorer's order...
Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:39:26 PM by urfausto

urfausto

some albums will even play in correct order with selecting and right click-play with musicb, if they are already ordered in file manager though.