Author Topic: Tagging Woes  (Read 3123 times)

Fuzen

Hey. I have been actively tagging my files for a while now and it certainly feels good to have a well organized collection.

The other day, however, I realized that my tagging scheme wasn’t always working so well for anything that isn’t Music Bee. For instance, MB’s Publisher field uses the Label field for MP3 yet it uses Organization for FLAC. Lack of consistency aside, it had me realize that I don’t know much about what tags are widely used and recognized out of the box outside of MB. 

Hell. I tried to use Foobar and Media Monkey to see the difference but I quickly went back to the Bee when I realized how convenient its tags display really was.

So… 

Could someone give me a rundown/list of the tags that are usually exploited by apps ? I know that Disc/Track# / Title / Album / Artist / Date and Genre are pretty much used everywhere… but beyond that ?

hiccup

Could someone give me a rundown/list of the tags that are usually exploited by apps ? I know that Disc/Track# / Title / Album / Artist / Date and Genre are pretty much used everywhere… but beyond that ?

The way music files are tagged is not some standard set in stone.
It's usually to be seen as a 'recommendation'.
So different applications may use different namings for tags.
E.g. some may use spacing in a tag name comprised of two words, some may glue the words together. Some will use completely different label names.

A while back I created an Excel sheet that should contain all tags and their mappings for MusicBee and MusicBrainz' Picard.
Perhaps you find it useful:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=26177.0

MediaMonkey and foobar2000 may use some other tag names for some tags.
Perhaps I'll add the tag mappings of these two programs to the Excel sheet some day.