Author Topic: MusicBee does <something> to audio driver when switching users that blocks sleep  (Read 1501 times)

tanstaafl

MB 3.3.7310 on Win 10 Home 1909.

My system is set up with multiple local user accounts.

When MB is running on one account and you switch to another account, MB is doing <something> to the audio driver that winds up blocking sleep.

When I run MB without switching users, the system goes to sleep as expected. However, after switching to another user account, the system will no longer go to sleep. Running "powercfg -requests" (in an elevated cmd prompt) shows:
C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438760&REV_1003\5&2fb867d4&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

Doing some testing, this shows up only after switching users - powercfg shows no active requests after starting MB (without playing anything), but as soon as I switch to the other user account, powercfg shows this driver message - even though MB has never been playing, simply started. As soon as I exit MB powercfg shows no outstanding requests.

The audio driver is the latest available from my motherboard vendor.

phred

• Global Moderator
Maybe I'm not completely understanding, but are you exiting MB before switching users? And logging off from Windows, or just switching users? If you're not exiting MB, that could well be your problem. Try exiting MB and then log in to the other user.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tanstaafl

I am not exiting MB before switching users. And yes, I am not logging off, I am just switching users.

And yes, not exiting MB is my problem. That's why I made this post :)

My point is that switching users is causing MB to cause the audio driver to go into an odd state. That shouldn't happen. I could maybe understand it if audio was playing when I switched, but it wasn't. MB was idle.

Yes, I can work around the issue by exiting MB before I switch users. But I posted in the Bug Report forum because this is a bug. And that's not really a workaround anyhow, since the reason I have multiple user accounts is because multiple users use the machine and hence I may not even be here when accounts are switched. My wife shouldn't need to know to go find some app I was running and exit it before switching user so the system doesn't refuse to go to sleep...

phred

• Global Moderator
Is you audio player output set to WASAPI (Exclusive)? I suspect it is. Try setting it to WASAPI (Shared).

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... my last quess - try setting it to DirectSound.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki