Author Topic: How to Copy 'Featured Artist' (within Title tag) to 'Guest Artist'  (Read 5876 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
This assumes you already have a featured artist as part of the <Title> tag and that it appears at the end of the tag. Such as

This also assumes that you have installed boroda's Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3833.0)

1- Start with a couple of test tracks. DO NOT do this on your entire library until you are certain that the results meet your expectations.
2- Create a backup, or a copy, of those test tracks.
3- Test to make sure the backup or copy can be restored.
4- Test it again.
5- Change your main panel view to tracks view.
6- In the search bar, type "(feat" without the quotes.
7- All the track titles listed should be in the format as shown in the screenshot above.
8- Select the tracks you want to work with and right-click. Select Additional Tagging Tools > Advanced Search and Replace
8z- You can also reach Additional Tagging Tools from the Tools menu.
9- In the AS&R search bar type "feat" without the quotes. The results will give you four presets.
10- Select the last one. It should say "Extract featuring artists from track title and add them to the (Guest) 'Artist' tag..." DO NOT CHECK THE BOX TO THE LEFT OF THE PRESET.
11- In the box next to <Custom text 1> enter "feat." without the quotes.
12- In the box next to <Custom text 2> enter ";" without the quotes.

13- Click the Preview button and your tracks will appear below with the original and new tags.

14- If you're happy with what you see, click the Apply button.
15- Close AS&R and open the Tag Editor. Click on the dots to the right of the artist field.
16- VoilĂ !

Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:56:38 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Tinidazone

This tutorial is very useful. But I get very different results (nothing shows up on STEP 9)

I wear shades 😎 cuz you're just too bright 🔆

Tinidazone

Please help... A video would be so much easier
I wear shades 😎 cuz you're just too bright 🔆

MSWallack

This plugin and feature look very promising. Unfortunately, my featured artists are in the Artist field (e.g., a-ha (feat. Ian McCulloch)). And I k now that many people prefer to put featured artists in the track title field but that just ... doesn't work for the OCD part of my brain. Further, I want to copy the featured artist information to the Guest Artist field but I don't want to strip it from the artist field. So, is there a way to do this using this plugin?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You could still accomplish this with the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin, just use a different preset. Also, you can keep the feat. artist in the display artist while tagging the actual artists separately. (If you want to keep it in the artist field for syncing or something, there's actually an option to replace artist with display artist when you sync.)
Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:45:10 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MSWallack

Thanks, psychoadept. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how to accomplish any of the suggestions that you've made. For example, I see four presets, but none of the four keep the guest artist in the artist field. Also, where can I find more information about the Display Artist field or how MusicBee deals with multiple and guest artists? As to my reason for wanting to keep the featured artist in the artist field... Um... I guess it's a function, again, of my OCD and so that I'm consistent across my applications. I've only recently started trying MusicBee and I use a number of different applications as I'm always shifting between what seems to work best at the given moment.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sorry, it'll probably be a while yet before I can follow up on the additional tagging & reporting tools. But this page has good info on multiple artists and display artist: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tagging#Multiple_Value_Tags
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MSWallack

Thank you. I'll review that info. Hopefully, it will answer most, if not all, of my queries.