Author Topic: Add whole Artist, Album, or Genre to Playlist without selecting individual track  (Read 10109 times)

jtoz

I've hinted at this in past posts, but to no avail.  Every version just keeps getting better and better, but for me, this is the one feature I really miss (from iTunes for instance):

In the Main Panel, I typically show the Track Browser with 3 columns: Genre, Artist, Album (much like iTunes).  I'm a bit of a completist, so when I want to add songs to a playlist destined for syncing to my iPod, I like to select the whole artist or all of a particular artist.  I'd like to be able to drag an item (or items) from either  Genre, Artist, or Album columns right to the playlist.  Currently I have to select something in the Track Browser, then select the tracks in the lower-half of the Main Panel then drag to the playlist.  Is there any way to implement a drag right from the Track Browser to Playlist? -- see iTunes for this behavior implemented.  Cheers.
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:46:26 AM by jtoz

jtoz

Just saw Patearson's post: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3001.0.  Perhaps he is trying to say the same thing?  Although I'm not asking to sync to a device.  I just want to be able to add to a playlist (which can then be synced to a device) by dragging.
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 04:02:51 AM by jtoz

Sarge

I've hinted at this in past posts, but to no avail.  Every version just keeps getting better and better, but for me, this is the one feature I really miss (from iTunes for instance):

In the Main Panel, I typically show the Track Browser with 3 columns: Genre, Artist, Album (much like iTunes).  I'm a bit of a completist, so when I want to add songs to a playlist destined for syncing to my iPod, I like to select the whole artist or all of a particular artist.  I'd like to be able to drag an item (or items) from either  Genre, Artist, or Album columns right to the playlist.  Currently I have to select something in the Track Browser, then select the tracks in the lower-half of the Main Panel then drag to the playlist.  Is there any way to implement a drag right from the Track Browser to Playlist? -- see iTunes for this behavior implemented.  Cheers.

I keep basicaly the same layout as you describe. 3 columns in the Track Browser..and If I have focus on Music Library and ALL..and if I right click any Artist/ Genre or Year..(sometimes I use Year in my category) it will add ALL to the playlist from either that Artist /Genre or year?

Unless I'm mis-reading this, MB already does this.

jtoz

Thanks for the reply Sarge.  I just tried it with the right-click, but am given a menu option to Play Now, Queue Next, or Queue Last...and if I click Play Now, it does in fact add all of that Artist to the NOW PLAYING list on the right, in the Now Playing Panel  What I want to do is add an Artist, Genre, Album, or in your case Year (for example) to a pre-existing Playlist I've created on the left-side in the Navigator Panel (the ones you can give names to)  - 2nd heading under Library  (I'm imagining while holding down the left-click and dragging, like in iTunes).  Currently, I try that and the cursor turns into the little outline of a box with a '+' sign as if it will move the item, but nothing happens.  Does that make any sense or am I missing something?
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:44:51 AM by jtoz

Sarge

No..now I'm lost as to what you want to do..If you have already in playlist...just right click and choose ..Add more..Artist ? genre..etc?

Sarge

Ok i think I know what is happening..you say it's a already created playlist?  and if so.. then just make sure you CLICK back onto Main Library, because I think you're losing the Focus from when you click on a playlist..put the focus (highlight back onto Main Library

jtoz

No, I don't already have it in a playlist.  Let's say I create a playlist from scratch in the Navigator Panel and name it 'IPod Playlist'   Initially, there are no tracks in it.  In order to add all of an Artist's tracks from multiple albums to IPod Playlist with my current setup in the Main Panel, I have to select an Artist (in Library View for instance) from the Track Browser, then go to the bottom of the Main Panel, select individual tracks and then hold-down-left-click and drag to IPod Playlist (this is the way I do it, I know you can then right-click and then click Send To Playlist. 

What I want to do is eliminate the step where I select individual tracks.  I would just like to highlight an Artist for instance, in the Track Browser, hold-down-left-click and drag to IPod Playlist, thereby putting all of the tracks by that Artist in IPod Playlist.  How 'bout now, still confusing?  Sorry if I've confused the issue.
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:00:28 AM by jtoz

Sarge

well I think leaving out the fact it's a Ipod playlist was important  :)

I'm thinking you were saying it was "Playlist" so I assumed you meant MB playlist.

jtoz

it doesn't really matter does it?  i could call the playlist 'Joe'.  same idea applies.  I still mean a playlist (not an Auto-Playlist) that you create in the Navigator Panel.

jtoz

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by 'MB Playlist'.  Is that the same as a playlist you'd create by right-clicking anything under Playlist in the Navigator Panel?  I'm really just talking about adding to a Playlist, doesn't matter if it syncs with an ipod or not (as that is managed in the Device Settings dialogue anyway).

Sarge

Sure it matters....because I CAN add whole artist, album,or genre to the playlist without selecting individual tracks.

so I answered accordingly.

jtoz

Then I must  be doing something wrong, because I cannot add Artist (from the upper-pane of the Main Panel, i.e. the Track Browser) to a Playlist (the kind you can create from File>New>New Playlist without having to select tracks from the lower pane of the Main Panel, under Track Browser. 
Every time I do this, the cursor changes to a cursor with a '+' sign and rectangle-outline as if it is moving that Artist to the Playlist but nothing shows up in the playlist, but How do you do this?   I should add that I Show the Track Browser in Track Detail View in the options in the top tool-bar of the Main Panel.
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:17:26 AM by jtoz

Sarge

ok if I load a playlist I already have created . I then go to my track browser.. and i can selected (whatever) let;s say a Genre..and right click that whole genre and say play now..it will add it all to the current playlist..then I can right click that list and either add my changes or Undo ?

jtoz

I can duplicate what your saying, but that is not what I want to do...you seem to be talking about the Now Playing List.  I don't want to even play the playlist.  I just want to populate a newly created (or pre-existing) Playlist (not Now Playing List) with music tracks, normally I would do this independently of what is playing through MB at the moment.  I should note that in Edit>Preferences>Layout>Left Navigator Panel, I have 'playlists' checked as well as 'library', 'internet', 'computer' and all of the library categories are checked as well.  If you don't have 'playlists' checked, you may not know what i'm talking about.

If I am just looking at my Library as a whole in Track Browser, I want to be able to just select an Artist in the Track Browser and drag it to my Playlist, the one I called 'Joe' (whether or not it is playing, so not the Now Playing list in the Now Playing Panel, but a playlist that appears in the Navigator Panel).  I don't want to load it up for playing, but just add tracks via the broader category of Artist or Genre rather than  having to select the individual songs.

Sarge

ok, but it takes me all of 2 or 3 clicks to add anything to a playlist. but no I can't drag the whole thing to a playlist.

but as far as this
Re: Add whole Artist, Album, or Genre to Playlist without selecting individual track
I can do that