Author Topic: Track name corruption in m3u playlist  (Read 1500 times)

roycymru

Is this a known issue/bug. Just started using Musicbee with my Sonos and NAS drive. I can create playlists with no issue and they are exported as M3U files. However, I am getting a high proportion of tracks in playlists that won’t play. This seems to be due to the fact that during playlist creation random track title names get corrupted e.g. Maria Carey - Do You Know Where You’re Going To (Theme from Mahogany) becomes renamed in the playlist to Mariah Carey - Do you Know Where You’re Going ToA(with a ‘hat’ on top) followed by an inverted ? (Theme from Mahogany). The file name of the track on the NAS drive is as it should, as Is the track name in the Musicbee list.

Therefore as far I can work out this corruption is occurring during the playlist generation.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

roycymru

Is anyone else seeing this? I think it is a definite bug. I have also tried generating playlists in JRiver Media Centre and get none of this corruption. The most common corruption seem to randomly adding a  to a track title. Steven what do you think? Regards

sveakul

Does the either the filename or track metadata as tagged in the affected tracks contain unicode or UTF-8 characters?  Check them externally with something like Mp3tag or Kid3.  What OS are you using, and with any language localizations?

roycymru

Thank you for getting back to me. Windows 7 with just UK English. Excuse my ignorance on how this all works. My understanding is that a playlist is just a text file with a list of paths of where to find the tracks on your hard drive. The file names of my tracks on the hard drive are correct, the track names in Musicbee (presumably taken from the metadata are correct) but, for those affected tracks, if I look at the details of these tracks using notepad in the playlist the names are corrupted.

By UTF-8 etc. I assume you are referring non standard letters or numbers. Musicbee playlist certainly doesn’t like album tracks from Bon Ivor’s 22 a million which contains lots of unusual characters, most of the names in an associated playlist for this album are corrupted. However, basic track titles like The BEATLES a Hard Day’s Night  are corrupted to AÂ Hard Day’s Night. My guess is that other people might not be seeing it as they might just play the playlist and not actually look at the playlist itself and not realise these names have been corrupted and those tracks are not playing. In the Sonos app you can display the playlist and when you do and scroll through you will see some tracks are greyed out (because Sonos can’t essentially find them, because the path name to find the track has become corrupted). JRiver media center playlist has no problems. Is is something to do with how Musicbee converts playlists to m3U?

Steven

• Administrator
by default MB exports m3u playlists using UTF-8 format. It might be the case your player only supports ascii, in which case in Preferences/ Library use M3U(ascii) as the format