Author Topic: MetroStyle by beistrich  (Read 26213 times)

beistrich

Hello,

I did my own skin and want to share it with you. At the moment it is optimized to the shown layout. maybe i (or someone) will optimize it.

big preview: http://img835.imageshack.us/i/musicbee1.jpg/

The latest available update here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4qnmlbnl28wacp0/metrostyle.xml

Updated: More consistency in menus

Its my fist upload, so tell me if something goes wrong. Please also tell me if you like/use it!

Have fun, thanks

beistrich
Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:45:27 PM by beistrich

beistrich

Sorry, i forgot the skin file

I updated this

Sarge

Nice one beistrich..... thanks for sharing it

Steven

• Administrator
beistrich thats a beautiful skin. I played around with a bit and the only thing i found that i think should be adjusted is the rating colours are dark in the player panel - just move
Player.StarRating.Default
Player.StarRating.Lowlight
after
Player.Control.Default

unfortunately if i fix this then it will break some of the existing skins
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:30:24 AM by Steven

beistrich

Yes, I see, it was overwritten by other elements. I fixed it.
Thanks for the hint.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jojptyrtu87iff9/metrostyle.xml

Steven

• Administrator
could i make some more suggestions
- the splashscreen is from smooth grey and doesnt match the skin - if you dont want to make your own then just remove the SplashScreen bitmap element and it will use the MB default
- when you open a tab, the inactive tab is blue. If that is intentional thats fine, but i think it might be better a darker colour or alternatively a lighter grey
- the slider bar for the volume in the player controls panel is a bit hard for me to see
- check out when the player is docked to the top right sidebar (right click on the player panel to change the dock). While it looks fine as-is, the player progress bar is blue and not consistent with how it is in the mini-player or main player
edit:
- consider experimenting with having the player panel background with more contrast to the rest of the screen or alternatively with a flatter gradient. I dont know if it would work or not but might be worth trying
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:33:20 AM by Steven

VX

just move
Player.StarRating.Default
Player.StarRating.Lowlight
after
Player.Control.Default

unfortunately if i fix this then it will break some of the existing skins

Steven, if You think the fix is logical and would simplify the process of skin creation than why not changing this permanently  ??? IMHO, if the change is desired, all existing skins that require an adjustment after the fix could be fixed within a week or two.

Beistrich, the skin looks very professional and I'm sure it would be the default skin for many MB users   :) Congratulations and thanks for sharing  :) As far as I can remember, only OrB had so promising début on the forum :D

I'll give some improvement suggestions and feedback after some time of playing with the new skin.
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:48:54 PM by VX

beistrich

Thanks for all the compliments first.

Yes I know that there have to be done some improvements. There are some parts that are not consistent at the moment. As mentioned the TABS - I normally do not ues the tabs at the moment, so I first concentrate on the parts I normally use.

Steven also mentioned the volume slider bar. Can someone tell me the element ID of this? I can't find it.

I try to do the changes in the next time.

I'm new to musicbee, but do you all also have the problem if the "skin windows borders" is checked, when moving to the edges that the windows moves 1 pixel? Is this a bug?

And is it possible to change the size of elements? I think the tabs are a bit too big, so i want to have smaller one. Is this possible?

Sarge

check rotems skinning guide here for some help, it isn't all complete yet but has good info

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=2917.0

Steven

• Administrator
its not obvious at all!
it takes the volume slider bar from "Player.Background"  fg
"Player.Volume" changes the icon
"Player.VolumeButton" changes the button

you are right there is a 1 pixel difference in size when "skin windows border" is on or off - that is because the skinned borders are 4 pixels and the unskinned are 3 pixels in XP and much wider in Vista/7 so its a compromise

at the moment you cant change the tab sizes. At some future point i could offer relative height adjustments for tabs. It cant be made a fixed size as the tabs (and many other controls) are resized depending on the font used
Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:45:35 PM by Steven

beistrich

Adson

... very nice skin. Clear and very good readable.
Thanks for the asthetic splash screen too. I like this one very much.

A.  :)

VX

I agree with Adson that the skin is clear and very good readable, furthermore looks really beautiful and professional. It's hard to assign to the existing skin folders, because those who like dark skins would prefer it to see in the Dark folder, but the colour choices are Neutral for many.
The skin combines the best values of dark and light skins, with a little admixture of pink, which is very popular in the Music Bee forum (the Pop Pink skin topic created by Rotem was commented nearly 80 times and read more than 1900 times !!!).

That's why it could be the default skin for MB (after some tweaking of course).  :)

Things to improve:
1. Change ALL light blue elements to light pink for better consistency (not the progress bar only as Steven have mentioned, but also all blue elements in the Preferences menu and blue button frames when the mouse indicator hovers over a button );

2. The filter expressions in Tagging Tools are hardly readable until hovered over:

3. Consider light pink frames for selectable buttons and tabs in Preferences:

http://imgur.com/GSVG9

4. Change the Frames colour for the selected albums to darker pink as grey is hardly visible on the lighter grey background in Main Panel/Artwork View.

5. I agree with Steven that the slider bar for the volume in the player controls panel is a bit hard for see.

6. Consider adding the second (grey) colour to the progress bar (before or after the indicator) - IMHO it looks better this way.

I hope the above suggestions will help to make the skin better. Thanks for considering :)
Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:36:45 PM by VX

beistrich

I agree with Adson that the skin is clear and very good readable, furthermore looks really beautiful and professional. It's hard to assign to the existing skin folders, because those who like dark skins would prefer it to see in the Dark folder, but the colour choices are Neutral for many.
The skin combines the best values of dark and light skins, with a little admixture of pink, which is very popular in the Music Bee forum (the Pop Pink skin topic created by Rotem was commented nearly 80 times and read more than 1900 times !!!).

That's why it could be the default skin for MB (after some tweaking of course).  :)

Things to improve:
1. Change ALL light blue elements to light pink for better consistency (not the progress bar only as Steven have mentioned, but also all blue elements in the Preferences menu and blue button frames when the mouse indicator hovers over a button );

2. The filter expressions in Tagging Tools are hardly readable until hovered over:

3. Consider light pink frames for selectable buttons and tabs in Preferences:

http://imgur.com/GSVG9

4. Change the Frames colour for the selected albums to darker pink as grey is hardly visible on the lighter grey background in Main Panel/Artwork View.

5. I agree with Steven that the slider bar for the volume in the player controls panel is a bit hard for see.

6. Consider adding the second (grey) colour to the progress bar (before or after the indicator) - IMHO it looks better this way.

I hope the above suggestions will help to make the skin better. Thanks for considering :)

Thanks for the suggestions.
It was aften unhappy that most skins are always dark or always bright. My wanting was a dark interface where the playlists are white. So thats the purpose for my skin, and for all who also like this...  :-)

As mentioned before, i agree that the skin is not consistent at all. But thanks for the lot of hints to do, that would help me a lot to find improvements.

I will update as soons as possible.