Author Topic: Dear MB Gurus, can it do this..... ID file, copy tags only & send to ext player?  (Read 1614 times)

stewlewis

I can't find a way to do this, would you know if it's possible:

Copy tags only from x:\artist_title.mp3 to y:\artist\album\artist_album_title.mp3

I use another player, Serato, that analyses a file and adds/updates tags. I'm wondering if there is a way that MB could find the same file (though with a different name) through the standard, artist/title/etc tags, in the x:\ location and copy the tags only from that file into the file in the y:\ location.

Found this info on Serato forum :
General Encapsulated Object (GEOB) tag. This isn't a typical tag and most (if any?) programs cannot show/display this info.
Cue points, loops and overview info is stored in the (GEOB) party of the ID3 tag. You cannot physically see it change it manually, so clearing basic fields (artist, comments etc) is safe.
I don't know if Searto uses the default BPM tag too.

Also, while I'm asking:

Can MB 'send to/play with' another app, Serato, where I can listen to, audition, analyse and update the file. Then, I close the file in Serato and MB will immediately show the tag changes in it's library.

Scratch this, just found the 'Tools' menu option, will see if this works with Serato.
And, the option to constantly monitor my music folder.
Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:11:44 PM by stewlewis

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can turn on folder monitoring in Library Preferences. You can copy tags from one track to another by configuring the copy tags hotkey found in preferences.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

stewlewis

Ooo excellent, will have a play when I get home. I've found the constant monitor option, tested with external app MP3tag and that's working a treat.

Hoping to "identify same track as X in library and it's file location and copy tags from Y to it"

I can do it now by re-importing the files I've used on the external DJ/Serato drive to their original location, using my renaming and sorting rules, but it just seems like an excessive file copy.

stewlewis

Got home and tried my plans, added Serato in tools as a 'send to' option. Serato starts up but doesn't open the file, I'll check with the Serato side of things to see if this is possible.

Also added Spek with tools as a 'send to' option, very handy for checking actual bitrate, works well unless I send it a file from a network share, it opens multiple instances of Spek, I'll research this too.

Always surprised how great Musicbee is with all its configurable options.

hiccup

Also added Spek with tools as a 'send to' option, very handy for checking actual bitrate, works well unless I send it a file from a network share, it opens multiple instances of Spek, I'll research this too.

Are you sure that happens when you have selected only a single file, and not an album?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I can do it now by re-importing the files I've used on the external DJ/Serato drive to their original location, using my renaming and sorting rules, but it just seems like an excessive file copy.

I'm not 100% clear on what you want to do and why, but it sounds like maybe rather than importing duplicate files you might want to try syncing to a folder as a virtual device. Then if tags need to be updated you can just run a sync.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
added Serato in tools as a 'send to' option. Serato starts up but doesn't open the file
Make sure in your external application setup you have "<URL>" or "<URLs>" (and include the quotes) as the parameter. That's what sends the file location to the external app. Use the plural URLs for a single track or multiple tracks. Use the singular URL for only one track. I use URLs just about everywhere.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here