Author Topic: Android device sync - playlist formatting issue  (Read 8864 times)

renius28

So with the latest android 10 on Samsung S10 and S10e, many folks are having the issue of empty playlists. I played around with it and realized that backslashes are no longer accepted. m3u files with "relative" (..) and without the ".." work fine if the backslashes \ are changed to forward slashes /.

So can we at least get an option in the device sync settings screen to use linux file path conventions?

Thanks!

phred

• Global Moderator
You can change the slash in Preferences > Library > playlists > exported playlists > use unix path convention (/)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
The library preferences for playlists only applies to library playlists and not to device synching.

Could you try this version which uses the unix convention for filenames in playlists:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

phred

• Global Moderator
The library preferences for playlists only applies to library playlists and not to device synching.
Thanks for the clairifcation.

Could you try this version which uses the unix convention for filenames in playlists:
I'm not at my MB PC to test this right now, but is this optional? I've had no trouble getting my playlists over to my devices using the Windows slash convention and (at this point) don't know if using the unix convention will break things.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

renius28

unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

@Steven The patched version works perfectly for my Samsung S10e:
SM-G970U, Android version 10, firmware G970USQS3CTA3

As Phred pointed out, it seems not all androids are affected, or perhaps they haven't pushed the same android versions that samsung has. Android should never have an issue with forward slashes, but maybe a checkbox under device sync settings, under "playlist storage", may be the best way to fix this.

Thanks for your quick response!

phred

• Global Moderator
As Phred pointed out, it seems not all androids are affected, or perhaps they haven't pushed the same android versions that samsung has.
I'm still running Android 9 and there's some question as to whether or not my Samsung S8 will get the Android 10 update.

Sorry to say I still haven't had the time to test this new patch, but I should be able to later on Thursday.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
As android is unix based, the change to / should be fine for all android versions. I guess other devices its not so clear but i would expect it to work

phred

• Global Moderator
Sorry to say I still haven't had the time to test this new patch, but I should be able to later on Thursday.
I have removed a track from a playlist and then performed a sync of that playlist. I'm still seeing Windows convention for the slashes, in other words, a forward slash (/). In other words, no change observed in the text file. Not a problem for me, but just wondering why I'm not seeing backward slashes in the playlist. Using M3U.

This is with 3.3.7354 P which was the patch posted in this thread. FYI, it's the same version number as what I was using previously and downloaded earlier that day.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

jes91354

Looks good for me with Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android 10 too!

If I use absolute paths with the expansion card, as I have for years, it still just specifies /Music in the m3u playlist, so it doesn't find any music.  But if I change to relative paths, it specifies ../Music (as others have noted), and so music is found.  I didn't know addresses were relative to the playlist directory, as opposed to relative to the install or elsewhere.  It's more portable this way than with the absolute /storage/3638-3264, so that's better anyway.

I'm not sure where the format with the #EXTM3U and #EXTINF tags, which I had described in:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=30840.0
came from...

Thanks for the patch!

John S.

boroda

As android is unix based, the change to / should be fine for all android versions. I guess other devices its not so clear but i would expect it to work

but what about virtual devices?

Steven

• Administrator

but what about virtual devices?
it should only be MTP device sync thats affected. However I will look to make it configurable anyway

Steven

• Administrator
I have removed a track from a playlist and then performed a sync of that playlist. I'm still seeing Windows convention for the slashes, in other words, a forward slash (/). In other words, no change observed in the text file.
what device was it and how did you sync the playlist (eg. clicking the Synchronise button, wifi sync, dragging playlist to device etc)

Steven

• Administrator
i have updated the 3.3 patch version such that the filename convention is configurable - it only applies to MTP devices/ wifi sync and now defaults to the unix convention

phred

• Global Moderator
I have removed a track from a playlist and then performed a sync of that playlist. I'm still seeing Windows convention for the slashes, in other words, a forward slash (/). In other words, no change observed in the text file.
what device was it and how did you sync the playlist (eg. clicking the Synchronise button, wifi sync, dragging playlist to device etc)
It was my Samsung S8 with Android 9. This was a WiFi sync and initiated by doing a preview and then a sync. The track deleted from the playlist (via MB) was still in the library. All I was doing was forcing a change in the playlist to see if the path slashes changed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
It was my Samsung S8 with Android 9. This was a WiFi sync and initiated by doing a preview and then a sync. The track deleted from the playlist (via MB) was still in the library. All I was doing was forcing a change in the playlist to see if the path slashes changed.
then i dont know how it didnt change. In any case in the latest patch just untick the new unix filename convention option in the device sync settings to switch it off but for an android device i dont think it should matter