Poll

What type of MusicBee install do you prefer? (please leave a comment if the answer is not 'portable'

portable
14 (50%)
full install
14 (50%)
store
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Could we get rid of 'Store' and 'full install' versions of MusicBee?  (Read 20172 times)

Sofocl

I'm definitely for the portable version.
If you create a single installer for the portable and installation version (for example, as in AIMP), you can recommend a portable version with explanations of how it differs from the installation version, which is selected by default.
Sorry for my bad English.

Pegleg

Didn't even consider using the portable version, mainly because for an awful lot of other programs portable just means it starts from basics every time, there is generally no way to "port" the tweeks and layout.
I will try "portable" on my wife's laptop, set it up like mine then see if I can "port" it, layout, tweeks, skins etc.

The store version is a pain, unless you know where Microsoft in their wisdow (sic), hide the files.

phred

• Global Moderator
I will try "portable" on my wife's laptop, set it up like mine then see if I can "port" it, layout, tweeks, skins etc.
You don't seem to understand what portable means. The entire application sits in its own directory. When you want to move it, you copy the entire directory (to a flash drive, etc) and then copy it to a new location. If you're storing your music files on the local PC, you just need to make sure the path is the same as on the original PC.

For -any- MB version you can save the panel arrangements and share them with another PC or user.
Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:19:19 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

The store version is a pain, unless you know where Microsoft in their wisdow (sic), hide the files.

Yeah, it will indeed be some effort to port things manually.
What could make it slightly easier, is if you would create a clean portable install on the same pc that currently has the store version.
You could then open them both, have them side-by side, and then copy/paste all relevant settings, custom and virtual tags, etc. from one to the other.
Then after that portable install is fully to your liking, copy the whole portable installation folder to your wife's laptop?

Hanna

• iTunes Refugee
I discovered that the Store version is installed somewhere in the Windows Dir. So it's installed in a different place than the Full install.
I've always avoided using Store, so was a bit inexperienced and didn't realise I had two separate versions of MusicBee that were using the same settings!
I had installed the Full first, and then I foolishly thought I'd upgraded with the Store version.
So, what I'm saying is that this could confuse people. Maybe either go full Store, or skip it altogether.

Portable apps have never really been my thing. I've not really had a situation where I needed it. You can always copy over the user settings folder if you need to migrate or whatever.

hiccup

Almost three years later, so feel free to say I am flogging a dead horse.

But,
Is there any sort of disclaimer about the negatives of using the 'Store' version of MusicBee vs. using a normal or portable install of MusicBee on Microsoft's 'Store' website?
If not, I think there should be. Store versions being outdated keep triggering issues on the forum once in a while.

I'm honestly (still) wondering how beneficial it is to MusicBee to present itself on Microsoft's 'Store' and offer a 'Store' version.
I am fully aware I probably have some biassed tunnel-vision on the matter, but here on the forum any report from a user reporting an issue triggers a Pavlov "you are not using the Store version are you?" response.

Far as I know there is no monetary benefit to MusicBee's developer being present on 'the store'. Probably only Microsoft gains some minor indirect profits from it?
I don't know.

Why not just get rid of it?
It would make life for anyone trying to give support here on the forum a little bit easier.

phred

• Global Moderator
It would make life for anyone trying to give support here on the forum a little bit easier.
Plus a gazillion.

Additionally it would save a lot of time/work for Steven.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Plus a gazillion.
Yeah, also it's a pity the forum doesn't have a decent f.a.q. that handles and explains the most common issues.
"are you using the 'Store' version?" should be high up there.

Steven

• Administrator
Personally I dont like the store version either because it is a hassle to update/ provide support for. But people trust the store version and request it.
Its not stopping someone from installing the desktop or portable version if there is a bug that needs a quick fix.

hiccup

I was thinking it might be helpful if there was a disclaimer in the MB Store page explaining the drawbacks of choosing for the Store version.
But I guess Miscrosoft won't allow for it saying something like 'pleases do not use the Store version' ;-)

hiccup

Rethinking all the issues being raised on our forum related to people using the Microsoft Store version, and the burden it puts upon fellow members here trying to give support, I thought of a way to at least warn the less-savvy computer users landing on Microsoft's MusicBee Store webpage before they made a mistake.

My idea was to add a brief positive review on MS's MusicBee Store page, but including mentioning and explaining why a possible new user should also consider using the regular, or portable version instead of the Store version, explaining its limitations and possible negative consequences.

But, the 'add review' button on MusicBee's Store does not function.
Nothing happens. Dead in the water.
(I shouldn't be surprised, considering MS never had a real clue or vision on how to setup and maintain such a thing)

And then looking at the existing reviews, there are three of them.
No typo.
Three. 3. Tres. 三つ. III. Drie.
Not a lot for a highly regarded piece of software that has been out there for some 14 years.

And all these three reviews being some five or six years old.
All of them them written by either a bot, or somebody working in some internet sweatshop far abroad that has no idea about what MusicBee is.
"fantastic product"  "never looked back"  "my granny loves it"  "will visit again"
Yeah, that style.

I'm probably coming across as a broken record.
But...

Please kill the Microsoft Store version.

- Microsoft obviously does not care.
- Many 'Store' version users run into issues that have already been solved with updates unavailable to them.
  which is not good for MusicBee's reputation
- If they then turn to the forum, it puts an extra (unnecessary) burden upon forum members investing their time and effort in trying to help them and explain things.
  (the most asked initial question these days: "you are not using the Store version are you?")
- I am guessing it does not bring any financial benefit to MusicBee. (if it does, then, well, ok)

Just kill it. Please.
With a soft pillow or with Elon Musk's flamethrower. But do kill it.
Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:06:16 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Please kill the Microsoft Store version.

- Microsoft obviously does not care.
- Many 'Store' version users run into issues that have already been solved with updates unavailable to them.
  which is not good for MusicBee's reputation
- If they then turn to the forum, it puts an extra (unnecessary) burden upon forum members investing their time and effort in trying to help them and explain things.
  (the most asked initial question these days: "you are not using the Store version are you?")
- I am guessing it does not bring any financial benefit to MusicBee. (if it does, then, well, ok)

Just kill it. Please.
With a soft pillow or with Elon Musk's flamethrower. But do kill it.
Speaking one of those who is constantly asking "are you using the Store version?" +1 to all of the above.

@Steven- without doing too much digging, when did the Store version become available? And how many downloads have there been to date?
With your recent comments about a new Store re;ease coming soon, this would be a good time to forget it ever existed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki