Poll

What type of MusicBee install do you prefer? (please leave a comment if the answer is not 'portable'

portable
6 (50%)
full install
6 (50%)
store
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Could we get rid of 'Store' and 'full install' versions of MusicBee?  (Read 1137 times)

Sofocl

I'm definitely for the portable version.
If you create a single installer for the portable and installation version (for example, as in AIMP), you can recommend a portable version with explanations of how it differs from the installation version, which is selected by default.
Sorry for my bad English.

Pegleg

Didn't even consider using the portable version, mainly because for an awful lot of other programs portable just means it starts from basics every time, there is generally no way to "port" the tweeks and layout.
I will try "portable" on my wife's laptop, set it up like mine then see if I can "port" it, layout, tweeks, skins etc.

The store version is a pain, unless you know where Microsoft in their wisdow (sic), hide the files.

phred

• Global Moderator
I will try "portable" on my wife's laptop, set it up like mine then see if I can "port" it, layout, tweeks, skins etc.
You don't seem to understand what portable means. The entire application sits in its own directory. When you want to move it, you copy the entire directory (to a flash drive, etc) and then copy it to a new location. If you're storing your music files on the local PC, you just need to make sure the path is the same as on the original PC.

For -any- MB version you can save the panel arrangements and share them with another PC or user.
Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:19:19 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.3 patch from here.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 beta patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here

hiccup

The store version is a pain, unless you know where Microsoft in their wisdow (sic), hide the files.

Yeah, it will indeed be some effort to port things manually.
What could make it slightly easier, is if you would create a clean portable install on the same pc that currently has the store version.
You could then open them both, have them side-by side, and then copy/paste all relevant settings, custom and virtual tags, etc. from one to the other.
Then after that portable install is fully to your liking, copy the whole portable installation folder to your wife's laptop?