Author Topic: problems syncing playlists with Samsung Galaxy S9, Android 10, and Samsung Music  (Read 6715 times)

jes91354

Recently my Samsung Galaxy S9 upgraded to Android 10, and Google Play Music stopped showing album art (among the other problems like occasionally losing playlists), so I moved to Samsung Music.  I've been using MusicBee for several years and several phones, but now when I try to sync the playlists/music, I'm having problems.

I'm trying to sync the music to the SD card, and I don't really care where the playlists go.

- Using the storage path SM-G960U1\Card\ with PLA, and sending the playlist to device, I get the error:
"Copy Failed - A device attached to the system is not functions. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007001F)"
for the playlist, and the SD card becomes unreachable until I disconnect/reconnect the phone.

- If I set the playlist type to M3U, I successfully get a playlist on the device.  When accessed in MusicBee's device menu, I can play the list, and it shows me the music files in the location SM-G960U1\Card\Music\...  The M3U file is in the Playlist directory on the SD card, as intended.

- The problem here is that the Samsung Music app detects the playlist, but not any of the music, so it shows up empty.  If I open the playlist file, the music files are listed in \Music, without any reference to the SD card, so I assume it's looking in the phone main memory.  Other older M3U files in that same directory (from previous versions of MusicBee?) have some sort of reference to the SD card, but not this one.

Thanks for any ideas.  I would think this is a pretty common setup.

John S.

phred

• Global Moderator
Do a top-level forum search for "android 10" and you'll see you're not the only one who got the android 10 update and is having problems. I don't recall that there's a solution yet, but you should see what others have discovered.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Erosion

Same issue here, ever since updating to 10 all playlists are empty. Idk what the motive for changing the way it handles playlists was but I am very frustrated with it as well. I hope the musicbee developer can deconstruct this madness and give us hope. :(

renius28

Same issue here on Samsung Galaxy s10e, latest firmware. I can't even get playlists created on the device itself. I have my playlists and music on my SD card. Even with manually edited full paths, the playlists don't work. Retro player, black player, eon player, samsung music all see zero songs with relative or absolute paths.
Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:10:09 AM by renius28

renius28

Solved.
So android 10 seems to no longer accept backslashes in m3u playlists. I copied all of my playlists to notepad++, replaced all \ with /. The music apps took a few seconds to change from 0 songs to the actual number and they all work.

So I guess I'll submit a bug report and hope this gets patched?

jes91354

Nice catch, @renius28!

This only half fixed the problem for me.  As I mentioned, my music and playlists are on the SD card, so I had to physically add /storage/3638-3264 to the beginning of each line, and then it worked.  Various other permutations, like the SM-G960U1\Card\ used by MusicBee in the computer playlist, didn't work.  I don't much care for this solution, though, because it's not portable.

Looking at some older playlists, which may or may not have come from MusicBee, the format on the SD card is:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:357,Test for Echo
/AUDIO/Music/Rush/Test for Echo/01 - Test for Echo.mp3
#EXTINF:268,Driven
/AUDIO/Music/Rush/Test for Echo/02 - Driven.mp3

This works in a more general sense, but I'm not familiar with the details of the format.  So for now I guess I'll manually edit the playlists with the forward slashes and specific SD card.

Thanks again for the help,
John

frankz

Nice catch, @renius28!

This only half fixed the problem for me.  As I mentioned, my music and playlists are on the SD card, so I had to physically add /storage/3638-3264 to the beginning of each line, and then it worked.  Various other permutations, like the SM-G960U1\Card\ used by MusicBee in the computer playlist, didn't work.  I don't much care for this solution, though, because it's not portable.

Looking at some older playlists, which may or may not have come from MusicBee, the format on the SD card is:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:357,Test for Echo
/AUDIO/Music/Rush/Test for Echo/01 - Test for Echo.mp3
#EXTINF:268,Driven
/AUDIO/Music/Rush/Test for Echo/02 - Driven.mp3

This works in a more general sense, but I'm not familiar with the details of the format.  So for now I guess I'll manually edit the playlists with the forward slashes and specific SD card.

Thanks again for the help,
John

I don't know if you're following the other thread, but you should try the patched version offered there and see if it solves your problem.

renius28

Nice catch, @renius28!

This only half fixed the problem for me.  As I mentioned, my music and playlists are on the SD card, so I had to physically add /storage/3638-3264 to the beginning of each line, and then it worked.  Various other permutations, like the SM-G960U1\Card\ used by MusicBee in the computer playlist, didn't work.  I don't much care for this solution, though, because it's not portable.

What phone and version of android are you running? I have all my music and m3u playlists on the external SD card, and relative file paths work fine without the absolute storage paths.
For example, this works on my external SDcard with retroplayer, eon player, and blackplayer. My playlists are stored under /playlists/ and music is under /music/

../music/Muse - Absolution/Muse - Apocalypse Please.mp3
Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:09:50 AM by renius28

jes91354

I don't know if you're following the other thread, but you should try the patched version offered there and see if it solves your problem.

Thanks for the reference, @frankz.  It did indeed help.

John S.

Madmaxneo

I just did the latest update to the Android OS and sync seems to be working perfectly fine again be it with wifi sync or wired.

veermaharaj

I just tested this setting, it worked with music bee WiFi sync on my Samsung Tab S6 Lite With JetAudio Plus

All playlists are populated and working.