Author Topic: Replace existing files when ripping a CD  (Read 1148 times)

Marukomu

Is it possible to get musicbee to replace existing files when ripping a CD, as you can with iTunes? For example, if I already have an album but I want to increase the bitrate by getting a new copy from a CD.

The good thing about the iTunes method was that it preserved play counts and kept the tracks on their playlists too. At the moment I only seem able to rip a separate copy of the album and then have to manually add that information afterwards.

Thanks.

fnky

Yeah you can, but only a single song at a time (as far as I know). It's very tedious but if you only have to do a couple of albums, not too bad.

Right click on the song: Send To > Folder Replace > Replace the Selected File.

SkyZippr

Alternatively you can rip your CD to inbox, then use Additional Tagging Tools > Copy tags to clip board... to copy all the information you want for multiple files at once.
But yes it would be nicer if Musicbee could do it on its own automatically.

frankz

I use SkyZippr's method, but beware that you'll have to manually re-add the songs to whatever playlists they were in.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The problem frankz mentions is the reason I tend to generate my playlists from tags. Even if you're not going to go that far, you can tag the files based on the playlists they're in to make it easier to put them back later.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Marukomu

Thanks everyone. Not sure I totally understand what's being suggested as I'm still quite new to MB but will give it a whirl and get back to you if I have any problems.