Author Topic: Which tags does MusicBee look for when getting ratings?  (Read 1572 times)

SonicRings

Can someone please tell me which rating tags MusicBees takes into consideration so I can track down the tags and rename them to something that it won't take into consideration?
I have so far found the following:
RATING
RATING WMP

For the record, I'm surprised I had to explain what "into consideration" meant in the context of my wishlist request thread here (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34468.0) considering that was literally the entire point of the thread, but since it's still somehow unclear, and since this is a new topic which I was suggested to post in this section, I will explain it as best as I can muster.

The way MusicBee works, it automatically rates songs in the library that have rating tags. If you have a song that has a tag RATING, for example, and the value is 5, that song will be given 5 stars in MusicBee. Likewise with 4, 3, 2, and 1. Now, I made a wishlist request for musicbee to NOT take those tags into consideration, which ultimately proved to be an unpopular opinion, so instead, I'm looking to rename those tags, because I DON'T want MusicBee to take them into consideration in my library. So far, I've found that it takes RATING and RATING WMP into consideration, as listed above. To be clear, "consideration" means it rates the songs based on the tags it sees. So again, if a song has RATING WMP with a value of 5, that song will show up as having 5 stars in MusicBee. My goal is to rename these tags to something MusicBee won't see. I just need to know which tags it DOES see so that I know what needs to be renamed, and what I should rename them to. I was thinking of appending a word to the tags so I know what the old name used to be, something like RATING_UNUSED and RATING WMP_UNUSED.

hiccup

For the record, I'm surprised I had to explain what "into consideration" meant in the context of my wishlist request thread here (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34468.0)
My apologies for being dumb.
Also, neither me, nor anybody else forced you. It was a suggestion from me trying to help you.
But I am now certainly done with that.

SonicRings

For the record, I'm surprised I had to explain what "into consideration" meant in the context of my wishlist request thread here (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=34468.0)
My apologies for being dumb.
Also, neither me, nor anybody else forced you. It was a suggestion from me trying to help you.
But I am now certainly done with that.
All good, it just rubbed me the wrong way that you didn't know what the point of the thread was yet you were the first to -1 it. If you did know the point of the thread, you would have immediately known what I meant when I asked this question there. I appreciate your willingness to help regardless and have followed your suggestion in posting a new thread here.
I hope my explanation was thorough enough this time: I sometimes assume people already know what I'm asking and try to cut corners to shorten the length of my posts, thinking it will help me get a solution faster, when in reality it has the opposite result. Here's hoping someone can help me.

hiccup

All good, it just rubbed me the wrong way that you didn't know what the point of the thread was yet you were the first to -1 it. If you did know the point of the thread, you would have immediately known what I meant when I asked this question there.

To me it's not 'all good'.

My initial reason for valuating your wish at -1 is not because I did not understand it. Don't act condescending to me.
Also the reasons for your wish were not clearly explained at that moment, and could be interpreted in multiple ways.
Even for the most obvious and basic intentions I felt it deserved a -1. And I explained why.
And after you explaining further why exactly you desired it, I got convinced it was even a worse idea than I first imagined it to be.

So, if anybody has suggestions:
What trumps a -googol^googolplex?
You deserve it (in my opinion)

SonicRings

All good, it just rubbed me the wrong way that you didn't know what the point of the thread was yet you were the first to -1 it. If you did know the point of the thread, you would have immediately known what I meant when I asked this question there.

To me it's not 'all good'.

My initial reason for valuating your wish at -1 is not because I did not understand it. Don't act condescending to me.
Also the reasons for your wish were not clearly explained at that moment, and could be interpreted in multiple ways.
Even for the most obvious and basic intentions I felt it deserved a -1. And I explained why.
And after you explaining further why exactly you desired it, I got convinced it was even a worse idea than I first imagined it to be.

So, if anybody has suggestions:
What trumps a -googol^googolplex?
You deserve it (in my opinion)
That's why I asked which rating tags musicbee considers, so that I can just edit them myself to not have them be included in musicbee, which is the topic of this post now.

hiccup

That's why I asked which rating tags musicbee considers, so that I can just edit them myself to not have them be included in musicbee, which is the topic of this post now.
You could setup a custom tag for a secondary rating.
On the same page where you have setup that tag, click on 'Configure Fields…' at the bottom left, find your custom tag, and set it's 'type' to 'rating'.

I don't believe that it will behave identical or as well as the default rating tag, but you testing it might provide useful input to maybe improve on it.
(I don't recall many users reporting or using this feature)

SonicRings

You could setup a custom tag for a secondary rating.
On the same page where you have setup that tag, click on 'Configure Fields…' at the bottom left, find your custom tag, and set it's 'type' to 'rating'.

I don't believe that it will behave identical or as well as the default rating tag, but you testing it might provide useful input to maybe improve on it.
(I don't recall many users reporting or using this feature)
I was just asking which tags musicbe considers so that I can simply rename them using Mp3tag, since I'm more comfortable with that. I've learned however that MusicBee no longer re-rates files whose rating tags differ from the internal rating, and therefore I can simply re-rate the files internally and be on my merry way. For some reason it used to re-rate them in the past, but I could not reproduce this behaviour thankfully.