Author Topic: Changing imported playlist file path  (Read 1192 times)

YonluTheWizard

I recently did a clean install of windows and unfortunately did not save my musicbee settings or playlists, so the only copy of the playlists I have are the ones that synced to my phone. I uploaded the .m3u8 playlist files to my computer, went into musicbee, and imported one of my playlists to test out. All of the files are listed, but musicbee seems to be searching in the wrong location for them. My music library is located on my D drive, but when I click the track it says "the source file could not be found. would you like to locate it? C:\Music\etc...".

Now I know I could locate each track's file individually, but at that point I might as well just recreate the playlists. Ideally I would like to change the file path for where musicbee searches for every track in the playlist. If anyone knows a good way to do this, I would appreciate it, because some of my playlists have hundreds of tracks and remaking them all from scratch would be a pain. Also if it's not something that musicbee can do, I'm willing to use a 3rd party program or whatever is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

YonluTheWizard

Soon after posting this, I found a workable solution, so I'll post it here in case anyone comes across this while searching for their own:

.m3u8 files are just text files that list the location of a file to be played, and as such can be edited in any text editor. For my problem in particular, it was as easy as using the "find and replace" feature in notepad to change the beginning of the file path.

The only caveat here is that some of the files in the playlist were not originally mp3 files, but were converted to mp3 when synced to my phone. For these files I just used musicbee's locate feature. However, if you have more files that were converted than not, doing find and replace on the file extensions would work in that situation as well.

Keep in mind that this might not be the absolute best solution, but it was efficient enough for my situation. If anyone sees this I hope I could help.